With strawberries in season I am glad to share with you this delightful and delicate dessert, Strawberry Lemon Layer Cake. The cake consists of four thin layers of vanilla lemon sponge cake filled with a generous amount of freshly made strawberry jam and with Mascarpone lemon frosting. The cake is so light and refreshing and is simply bursting with summer flavor.
How to make Strawberry Lemon Layer Cake
First you need to prepare the strawberry jam so it has time to cool before filling the cake. You can even consider making it a day or two in advance. This will save some time for later. Then you can prepare the vanilla lemon sponge cake which is very easy to prepare. After preparing the batter you divide it evenly on two large baking sheets. This not only reduces the time of baking but also helps you in creating even layers. Baking two sheets of thin cake layers eliminates the stress of cutting the cake layers as straight and even as possible. It also cools pretty fast.
After you prepare the cake layers you simply need to whip up the Mascarpone lemon frosting. It is very quick to prepare but with an amazing flavor and very appreciated every time.
For assembling, simply cut each sponge cake in half and start filling the cake layers with the strawberry jam and mascarpone frosting. Leave it to chill for at least 1 hour before serving. Cut the cake in 12 or 14 rectangular slices and decorate with whipped cream as desired.
This cake is really easy but very satisfying. Everybody will love this amazing Strawberry Lemon Layer Cake. Hope you will try it out and make sure to tag me on Instagram if you do since I love seeing how it turned out for you. Enjoy!
Other strawberry desserts you may like to try
If you love strawberries you might also like this Strawberry Swiss Roll or this amazing French strawberry dessert – Fraisier. If you prefer mousse cakes you should definitely try these Chocolate Strawberry Cream Cheese Mousse Cake or Ruby Chocolate Strawberry Mousse Cake. As strawberries are such a great choice for so many sweets, check this amazing list of 35 Strawberry Desserts you can choose from to enjoy this strawberry season at its best.
Strawberry Lemon Layer Cake
Vanilla Lemon Sponge
- 8 eggs , separated
- 1 cup (200g) sugar , divided
- 1 tsp (5g) vanilla extract
- 1 cup (125g) all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp (2g) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2g) salt
- Lemon zest of a lemon
- 1 pound (450g) fresh or frozen strawberries
- 1/3 cup (70g) sugar
- 3 tbsp (45ml) fresh lemon juice
Mascarpone Lemon Frosting
- 1 pound (500g) Mascarpone cheese , room temperature
- 3/4 cup (90g) powdered sugar
- 1 ⅔ cup (400g) whipping cream (35% fat) , chilled
- 1 tsp (5g) vanilla extract
- Lemon zest of a large lemon
- 10 oz (300g) whipping cream
- Fresh strawberries , cut in half
Prepare the strawberry jam.
- The jam can also be made a day or two day in advance, to save time and refrigerate until ready to use. In a small saucepan put the strawberries, sugar and lemon juice. Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Simmer until the mixture is thick, for about 15-20 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool completely before using.
Prepare vanilla lemon sponge.
- Preheat the oven to 350F (180C). Grease and line with parchment paper two 12×16 inch (30x40cm) baking sheets. Set aside.
- Separate egg whites from yolks. Add ¾ cup (150g) sugar over the yolks and mix until creamy. Add vanilla and lemon zest and mix to combine.
- Incorporate flour, baking powder and salt into the yolk mixture.
- Whip whites until foamy. Gradually add ¼ cup (50g) sugar and continue whipping until stiff peaks form.
- Gently and gradually fold the whites into the yolks mixture.
- Divide batter evenly into the prepared baking sheets. Spread the batter evenly and bake for about 10-12 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Sprinkle it with powdered sugar. This helps the sponge cake not stick. Flip the cake over the paper. Remove the parchment paper it was baked with. Let cool completely.
Prepare Mascarpone Lemon Frosting.
- In a large bowl mix Mascarpone until smooth. Add powdered sugar, vanilla and lemon zest and mix until incorporated.
- Add whipping cream and continue mixing until stiff peaks form.
- Cut each sponge cake in half.
- Place a bit of frosting onto a serving platter. Add the first layer of sponge cake. Spread evenly a layer of strawberry jam.
- Gently spread ⅓ of the mascarpone frosting.
- Repeat with the remaining sponge cake layers.
- Refrigerate the cake for at least 1 hour or even overnight.
- Trim the edges of the cake and cut into 12 rectangle slices.
- Using a 6B tip pipe whipped cream on top of each slice. Decorate with fresh strawberry halves.