This is the first time I have ever paired pears with chocolate and I must say that I really loved it and I didn’t expect to be such a pleasant combination. If you like pears and chocolate you should definitely try this Almond Chocolate Pear Cake. It is very flavorful due to the pears and almonds, and also very moist and rich which makes it simply irresistible.
For the chocolate cake, I’ve used the recipe I’ve made before for the chocolate flourless cake and just added some almonds for extra texture and flavor. This Almond Chocolate Pear Cake is a gluten free, chocolaty dessert perfect for celebrating the arrival of fall. Hope you will give it a try. Enjoy!
Almond Chocolate Pear Cake
- 4 eggs , separated
- 7 oz (200g) semisweet chocolate (55-70%)
- 2/3 cup (150g) butter
- 1 tbsp (8g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup (100g) ground almonds
- 1/4 tsp (2g) salt
- 1 tsp (5ml) almond extract
- 1/2 cup (100g) sugar
- 3 or 4 ripe pears , peeled
- Grease and line a 10-inch (25 cm) springform pan (with a removable base) with parchment paper. Separate egg yolks from whites. Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Melt chocolate and butter over a bain-marie until smooth. Let it cool slightly. Add yolks one at a time and stir well. Stir in cocoa powder, ground almonds, salt and almond extract.
- Whip egg whites until foamy using a mixer. Gradually add sugar and whip until soft peaks form. Gently fold the whipped whites into chocolate mixture.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Cut pear halves in thin slices leaving one edge uncut.
- Place the sliced pear halves on top of the batter and bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Let it cool completely and refrigerate to set for at least 2 hours.