Easter is just around the corner, and if you’re looking for a delightful dessert to serve your guests, then look no further than this scrumptious Carrot Cake Roll recipe. As the name suggests, it’s a carrot cake that is rolled into a log shape and filled with a delicious Mascarpone cheese frosting.
What I love most about this recipe is that it’s a healthier alternative to traditional carrot cake, which is typically made with more oil. Instead of using a whole cup of oil, this recipe only calls for two tablespoons, which saves you almost 200 calories per serving. This is fantastic news for anyone watching their waistline but still wanting to indulge in some sweet treats this Easter.
To make this carrot cake roll, I used my go-to recipe for Pumpkin Roll, but with a few tweaks. The combination of the moist and flavorful carrot cake with the creamy and tangy Mascarpone cheese frosting is just perfect.
How to make Carrot Cake Roll
To make this delicious carrot cake roll, start by preparing the carrot cake. In a large bowl, add the eggs, sugar, salt, and vanilla extract. Use an electric mixer to mix the ingredients until they are light and foamy. Next, add the oil and mix well. Then, add the grated carrot and lemon juice, and fold everything together until well combined. Sift the dry ingredients and gently fold them in. Note that the moisture content of the carrots may vary, so if the batter seems too wet, you may need to gradually add another 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup of flour until the consistency is just right.
Spread the batter into a greased pan, lined with parchment paper. Bake the cake for about 15 minutes at 350F (180C), until golden brown. Roll it up while still warm in a sugar-sprinkled kitchen towel to cool.
To make the filling, whip some whipping cream with an electric mixer until it forms stiff peaks. In another bowl, beat together some Mascarpone cheese, powdered sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla until smooth. Then, fold the whipped cream into the Mascarpone mixture.
Unroll the cake and spread the filling evenly over the top. Then, carefully roll it back. Dust with more powdered sugar before serving.
I highly recommend trying this recipe. It’s surprisingly easy to make, and you don’t have to worry about decorating it like a regular cake. Just sprinkle some powdered sugar on top, and voila, you have a stunning and delicious dessert that will impress your guests.
Don’t forget to share your experience with me and let me know how it turned out for you and tag me on Instagram if you have the chance. Happy baking!
Other cake rolls you may like to try
This Strawberry Swiss Roll is another delightful cake roll perfect for celebrating spring and summer. It consists of a vanilla sponge cake filled with fresh homemade strawberry jam and cream cheese frosting. This Chocolate Strawberry Swiss Roll blends the flavors and textures of chocolate and strawberries together harmoniously. It consists of a flower-decorated chocolate sponge cake filled with a light filling of white chocolate, whipped cream and diced fresh strawberries. One of our favorite rolls is this Chocolate Mocha Hurricane Roll that not only has this amazing hurricane effect it is also a delightful treat. It consists of a tender and moist layer of sponge cake filled with apricot jam and chocolate coffee ganache.
Carrot Cake Roll
- 3 eggs
- 2/3 cup (135g) sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 cups grated carrots (about 2 medium carrots)
- 3/4 cup (100g) flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 cup (240 ml)whipping cream
- 8 ounce (250g) Mascarpone cheese , room temperature
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup (60g) powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup (30g) powdered sugar for the towel and topping
Prepare the carrot cake.
- Preheat the oven to 350F (180C). Butter a 12 X16 inch (30 x 40 cm) baking tray and line it with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl add eggs, sugar, salt and vanilla extract. Beat with an electric mixer until light yellow and foamy. Add oil and mix until well incorporated. Add carrot and lemon juice. Fold until well combined.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg over the bowl. Gently fold the flour in. Carrots may be different each time, either with more juice or dry. For this cake, it is preferable to be drier, but if they are too juicy you may need to add gradually another 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup flour in the mixture.
- Pour the batter into the pan and spread evenly into the corners using the back of the spatula.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Take a kitchen towel and generously sprinkle it with powdered sugar. This helps the cake not stick to the towel.
- Sprinkle the top of the cake with powdered sugar.
- While still hot roll the cake up in the towel. You will have to do it while is still hot/warm either wise it cracks. Let cool completely.
Prepare the Mascarpone frosting.
- Whip the cream with an electric mixer until it forms stiff peaks. In another bowl, beat Mascarpone cheese with powdered sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla. Fold together.
- Unroll the cake and spread the filling evenly over the cake.
- Roll the cake back up. Sprinkle with more powdered sugar before serving.