This Chocolate Swiss Roll is a rich, chocolaty and decadent dessert, a rewarding treat for chocolate lovers. A chocolate sponge cake is filled with a chocolate mousse filling and drizzled with chocolate ganache on top. It is simply heavenly delicious.
You can always make variations to this Swiss roll, like changing the filling, adding different flavor combinations like coffee, peanut butter or fruits.
Carrot Cake Roll
Strawberry Swiss Roll
Chocolate Swiss Roll
- 1/2 cup (63g) flour
- 1/4 cup (30g) cocoa powder
- 1 tsp (4g) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2g) salt
- 4 eggs
- 2/3 cup (135g) sugar
- 1/2 tsp (1g) instant coffee
- 2 tbsp (28g) oil
- 5 oz (150g) semi-sweet chocolate
- 1/2 cup (120g) whipping cream
- 1 cup (240g) whipping cream , chilled
- Cocoa powder for dusting
- 1 oz (30g) semi-sweet chocolate
- 2 tbsp (30g) whipping cream
- Prepare the cake. Preheat the oven to 350F (180C). Butter a 12X16 inch (30×40 cm) baking tray and line it with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl whisk flour with cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl add eggs and sugar. Beat with an electric mixer until lemon yellow and foamy. Add oil and mix until well incorporated. Add instant coffeee and then gradually add flour mixture.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking tray and spread evenly into the corners using the back of the spatula.
- Bake for about 12 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Take a parchment paper and sprinkle with cocoa powder. This helps the cake not stick. Flip the cake over the paper. Remove the parchment paper it was baked with.
- While still hot roll with the parchment paper inside. You will have to do it while is still hot/warm otherwise it cracks. Let cool completely.
- Prepare the filling. Place chocolate and cream in a heatproof bowl and place over a pan with simmering water. Melt over low heat.
- In another bowl whip cream until stiff peaks form. Mix in the melted chocolate.
- Unroll the cake and spread the chocolate filling evenly over the cake.
- Roll the cake back up. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
- Dust the roll with cocoa powder. To make the ganache on top for decoration simply melt the chocolate with same amount of cream and using a spoon or simply a piping bag fitted with a small tip and drizzle the chocolate over the roll as you like. Let the ganache set for few minutes and serve.
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and tag @homecookingadventure on Instagram and hashtag it #homecookingadventure.
Very clear . Thanks for the video and the recipe.
ooooh this swiss roll looks OH SO chocolatey!!!
Is it possible to do this without the coffee?
Yes, i use coffee for extra flavor .
I did it! So delicious n very tasty! Tnx for the video;)
nice,the chocolate is really tasty with a touch of coffee flavor… thanks
Is it cake flour or AP flour?
It is all purpouse flour.
Is the cocoa powder sweetened or unsweetened?
Can I freeze this swiss roll? if not for how long could it be refrigerated for?
Made this roll for the second time now with a pastry cream recipe; and i have to say that this is amazingly decadent, indulgent and beautiful-looking. My go to recipe for chocolate swiss roll sponges:))
what is the oil you have used here.. thank u in advance
Hi Nadeesha .
I usually use canola oil.
brilliant fantastic amazing
Hi. Can i bake the cake in a 12 x 9 pan? I don’t have a 12 x 16. Will the cake be too thick in the 12 x 9 pan?
love how easy this looks!
if i have a 10X15 inch cake pan do you know how i can adjust the recipe.
sorry new at this baking thing
My cake was sticking to the parchment paper though baked for 12 minutes. My tray was 10”X 14” should I have baked a little longer?
i love the taste! mais when i mix in the melted chocolate for the filling the mixture is always very liquid! the i can not really spread on the cake???because it runs everywhere. what is the problem ? thanks
How do I transport this to a party? How do I cover it?
Simply cover with plastic wrap or aluminum foil.. add some skewers fom plae to place so it doesn't touch the cake
Turned out perfect! Thank you for this!
More than happy to hear that Sarah 🙂 When possible tag me on Instagram to see the photos too 🙂