This Chocolate Swiss Roll is a rich, chocolaty and decadent dessert, a rewarding treat for chocolate lovers. A chocolate sponge cake is filled with a chocolate mousse filling and drizzled with chocolate ganache on top. It is simply heavenly and delicious.
You can always make variations to this Swiss roll, like changing the filling, or adding different flavor combinations like coffee, peanut butter or fruits.
How to make Chocolate Swiss Roll
Begin by preparing the cake. Preheat the oven to 350F (180C) and butter a 12X16 inch (30×40 cm) baking tray, lining it with parchment paper.
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
In a large bowl, beat eggs and sugar until lemon yellow and foamy. Add oil, mix well, and then gradually add the flour mixture with instant coffee.
Pour the batter into the prepared baking tray, spreading it evenly into the corners. Bake for about 12 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Take a parchment paper and sprinkle with cocoa powder. While still hot, roll the cake with parchment paper inside to prevent sticking. Let it cool completely.
For the chocolate filling, melt chocolate and cream in a heatproof bowl over simmering water. Let it cool slightly to room temperature. Whip cream until stiff peaks form, then mix in the melted chocolate.
Unroll the cake, spread the chocolate filling evenly, and roll it back up. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
Dust the roll with cocoa powder. For ganache decoration, melt chocolate with the same amount of cream, then drizzle it over the roll using a spoon or piping bag. Let the ganache set for a few minutes and serve.
Hope you will try this amazing Chocolate Swiss Roll and enjoy this delightful treat as much as we did. If you do, make sure to share the photos with me on Instagram. Would love to see how it turns out for you.
Other cake rolls you may like to try
This Tiramisu Cake Roll is an amazing dessert that combines the classic flavors of tiramisu with the lightness of a sponge cake.
Another amazing roll you can try is this Chocolate Mocha Hurricane Swiss Roll not only has this amazing hurricane effect it is also a delightful treat, consisting of a tender and moist layer of sponge cake filled with apricot jam and chocolate coffee ganache.
This Chocolate Strawberry Roll is a delightful dessert perfect for summer days. A flower decorated chocolate sponge cake is filled with a light filling of white chocolate and whipped cream and diced fresh strawberries.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
Carrot Cake Roll
Strawberry Swiss Roll
Summer Berry Meringue Roll
Caramel Pecan Pumpkin Roll
Gingerbread Orange Cake Roll
Cranberry White Chocolate Meringue Roll
Chocolate Coconut Cake Roll
No-Bake Chocolate Biscuit Cake Roll
Passion Fruit Cake Roll
15 Cake Rolls
Chocolate Swiss Roll
- 1/2 cup (63g) flour
- 1/4 cup (30g) cocoa powder
- 1 tsp (4g) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2g) salt
- 4 eggs
- 2/3 cup (135g) sugar
- 1/2 tsp (1g) instant coffee
- 2 tbsp (28g) oil
- 5 oz (150g) semi-sweet chocolate
- 1/2 cup (120g) whipping cream
- 1 cup (240g) whipping cream , chilled
- Cocoa powder for dusting
- 1 oz (30g) semi-sweet chocolate
- 2 tbsp (30g) whipping cream
Prepare the cake.
- Preheat the oven to 350F (180C). Butter a 12X16 inch (30×40 cm) baking tray and line it with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl whisk flour with cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl add eggs and sugar. Beat with an electric mixer until lemon yellow and foamy. Add oil and mix until well incorporated. Add instant coffeee and then gradually add flour mixture.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking tray and spread evenly into the corners using the back of the spatula.
- Bake for about 12 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Take a parchment paper and sprinkle with cocoa powder. This helps the cake not stick. Flip the cake over the paper. Remove the parchment paper it was baked with.
- While still hot roll with the parchment paper inside. You will have to do it while is still hot/warm otherwise it cracks. Let cool completely.
Prepare the chocolate filling.
- Place chocolate and cream in a heatproof bowl and place over a pan with simmering water. Melt over low heat. Let it cool slightly to room temperature.
- In another bowl whip cream until stiff peaks form. Mix in the melted chocolate.
- Unroll the cake and spread the chocolate filling evenly over the cake.
- Roll the cake back up. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
- Dust the roll with cocoa powder. To make the ganache on top for decoration simply melt the chocolate with same amount of cream and using a spoon or simply a piping bag fitted with a small tip and drizzle the chocolate over the roll as you like. Let the ganache set for few minutes and serve.