This Orange Poppy Seed Cake is rich and moist, full of citrus flavor and enough poppy seeds to satisfy a poppy seed lover.
The buttery base is so soft almost melting in your mouth. The poppy seed layer is light and makes a great combination with the soft cake and oranges.
Orange Poppy Seed Cake
- 1 ¼ sticks (150g) butter
- 1 ¼ cup (160g) flour
- 2 tbsp (16g) powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp (10g) baking powder
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 tbsp (30g) sour cream
Poppy Seed Cream
- 9 oz (250g) ground poppy seeds
- 1 cup (240ml) milk
- 3 tbsp (45g) butter
- 3/4 cup (150g) sugar
- 4 tbsp flour
- 3 egg whites
- 1 tsp (5g) vanilla extract
- Finely grated zest of 1 orange
- 1 tsp (4g) baking powder
- 3 tbsp (45g) apricot jam - between layers
- Preheat oven to 180C (350F).
- For the cake base use a medium bowl and mix all ingredients until well blended and results a moist,sticky dough. Pur it into a 10-inch (26 cm) spring form pan (with a removable base). Add a layer of apricot jam on top of the cake base.
- Poppy seed cream. Bring milk and poppy seeds to a boil and stir occasionally until all the milk is absorbed. Remove from the heat and let it cool. Meanwhile whip the egg whites until foamy. Add butter, sugar, baking powder,flour, orange zest and vanilla extract to the poppy seed mixture until well blended. Fold in gently the whites into the poppy seed mixture.
- Pour the poppy seed mixture over the prepared base and jam. Bake for about 30 minutes. Serve with supreme orange slices.