This Potato Cake is a dish I make pretty often for my family, either for lunch or dinner. As I said in an earlier post, I will try to share with you a few simple potato recipes that everybody can easily prepare.
You can make many other variations to this potato dish, you can add beaten egg like in this Spanish Tortilla de Patatas, cheese, some bacon, smoked fish or leftover cooked vegetables or whatever else you would consider will go well for this dish. I am sure it’s delicious in any way you choose to make it.
- 3 or 4 potatoes
- 1 onion , chopped
- 4 tbsp oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Wash the potatoes and boil with their skin on for about 10 minutes. Add a little bit of salt in the boiling water. Remove from water and set aside to cool. When chilled peel and grate up potatoes using the grater with the big holes.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Saute the onion for about 3 minutes until soft.
- Add potatoes and stir with the onion. season with salt and pepper. Press down the potatoes with a spatula and cook for about 5 minutes or until nicely browned underneath. Turn the cake by inverting it on a large plate.
- Gently slide it back into the pan to cook the other side too. Continue cooking for another 5 to 10 minutes until golden brown and crisp.
- Serve cut into slices.