This Potato Crusted Sea Bass with Lemon Sauce is a delicious and easy-to-make dish that is perfect for lunch or dinner.
During our time in Rome, we had the wonderful opportunity to savor the flavors of Italy, and one dish that captivated our taste buds was a potato-crusted fish fillet. Not only is it incredibly tasty, but it’s also easy to make. Potatoes and fish have always been a winning combination, and this recipe takes it to a whole new level. Imagine a tender and flaky fish fillet, encased in a crispy and golden potato crust. The contrast of textures creates a delightful symphony in every bite. When I returned home, I knew I had to prepare this dish for my daughters, and they loved it just as much as I did.
To enhance the flavors even further, instead of the traditional lemon wedge, I paired the fish with a luscious lemon sauce that I absolutely adore. Its bold lemony taste and velvety smoothness add an extra layer of wonderfulness to the dish. The combination of the tangy sauce and the succulent sea bass is truly a match made in culinary heaven.
While I used sea bass fillets for this recipe, you can easily substitute them with any other type of fish fillets that you prefer. The beauty of the potato crust is its versatility, allowing you to enjoy this delightful dish with a variety of fish options. So feel free to experiment and discover your personal favorite.
How to make potato crusted fish fillet
Prepare the fish by removing the skin if necessary and cutting the fillets in half if they’re too large. Season each fillet with salt and pepper.
Peel the potatoes and grate them using the big holes of a grater. Squeeze out as much liquid as possible using a kitchen towel, then place the grated potatoes in a large bowl. Add chives, salt, and pepper, and stir to combine.
In a non-stick pan, heat grapeseed oil and butter over medium heat. Take some of the potato mixture and spread it in the pan, making it about the same size as the fish fillet. Place the fish fillet on top and cover it with more potato mixture. Gently press it down with a spoon. Cook for approximately 5 minutes on each side until the crust turns golden brown and the fish is fully cooked. Repeat this process for the remaining fish fillets.
How to make the lemon sauce
First, wash the lemons and carefully peel off the yellow part, leaving behind the white pith. In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil, then add the lemon peels and boil them for 2 minutes. Repeat this step multiple times to reduce bitterness. Allow the lemon peels to cool slightly before transferring them to a blender. Add olive oil, lemon juice, salt, sugar, and water, and blend until smooth. Strain the sauce, cover it, and refrigerate until ready to use, up to 4 days.
Place the potato-crusted fish on a plate, accompanied by the prepared lemon sauce and your favorite vegetables.
I sincerely hope that you give this Potato Crusted Sea Bass a try and experience the sheer joy it brings. May this recipe bring you and your loved ones great pleasure, just as it has for me and my family.
Don’t forget to tag me in your Instagram posts or stories, so I can see your amazing results. Enjoy!
Potato Crusted Sea Bass with Lemon Sauce
For the Fish
- 20 oz (600g) potatoes
- 2 tbsp (about 4g) chives , chopped
- 1/2 tsp (2g) salt
- 2 tbsp (28g) grapeseed oil
- 2 tbsp (28g) unsalted butter
- 2 sea bass fillets - (about 6 oz-a170g each)
- Salt and Pepper
- peel from 5 lemons
- 1/4 cup (56ml) olive oil
- 1/4 cup (60ml) water
- 1/2 tsp (2g) salt
- 1 tsp (5g) sugar
- 2 tbsp (30ml) lemon juice
Prepare the lemon sauce.
- Wash the lemons and peel them. We only need the yellow peel without the white pith as much as possible.
- In a small saucepan bring water to a boil. Only when the water is boiling add lemon peels and let them boil for 2 minutes. Drain and repeat this step for 5 or 6 times. It is important to repeat this step as it reduces the bitterness and removes the wax found on the lemon peels if any.
- Let the lemon peel cool slightly and then place them in the bowl of the blender. Add olive oil, lemon juice, salt, sugar and water.
- Process for a couple of minutes until well blended and smooth.
- Sieve the sauce, cover and refrigerate until ready to use. The sauce can be stored refrigerated for up to 4 days.
Prepare the fish.
- Remove skin of the fillets if any. Cut fillets in two if too big to handle. Season each with salt and pepper.
- Peel the potatoes and grate using the big holes of the grater.
- Transfer the potatoes into a kitchen towel and squeeze as much liquid as you possible can.
- Place the potatoes into a large bowl. Add chives, salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
- In a non-stick pan heat 1 tbsp of grapeseed oil (or any other flavorless vegetable oil) and 1 tbsp butter over medium heat.
- Spread some potato mixture into the pan about the size of the fish fillet. Add fish fillet on top and cover with potato mixture. Press with the spoon slightly. Cook for about 5 minutes on each side until golden brown and fish is cooked through. Repeat with the remaining fish fillets.
- Serve the potato crusted fish with lemon sauce and your favorite vegetables. Enjoy!