My daughters love tuna in any form, asking for the “pink colored meat” pretty often. I have to find various ways to serve it and making this potato tuna patties turned to be one of the best ways.
These tuna patties are easy to make, using simple ingredients you have in your pantry and fridge and pretty quick too. You can even have your potatoes boiled one day before and save some more time. Tuna in combination with mashed potato, corn, lemon and green onion seems to be a winner for our family and I am certain it will be for you too. Just give them a try.
The beautiful thing about these patties is that they can be served either for breakfast, lunch or dinner alongside a fresh salad and your favorite dipping sauce, either as appetizer. They keep well refrigerated and can be used for the next day meal, either warm or cold.
Potato Tuna Patties
- 10 oz (300) potatoes , boiled with their skin on and chilled
- 1 can (7 oz- 185g) tuna in oil , drained
- 1/2 cup corn kernels
- 2 spring onions , chopped
- 1 egg
- lemon zest from 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs , for coating
- Mash the potatoes using a potato masher.
- Add the tuna flakes and mix with a fork.
- Add corn kernels, chopped spring onions, egg and breadcrumbs.
- Finally add lemon zest and season with salt and pepper. Stir well to combine.
- Divide mixture into 12 portions. Shape them into patties. Place breadcrumbs on a plate and add the patties to coat.
- Heat oil over medium high heat in a nonstick pan. Cook patties for about 3 minutes on each side until golden brown. Transfer the patties to a plate lined with paper towel to remove excess oil. Clean the pan with a paper towel and repeat until all patties are done.
- Serve with your favorite salad, and sauce. We served it with our homemade chilli jam.