Classic Bolognese Sauce
Watch the video for this recipe:
Bolognese Sauce is a delicious Italian slowly cooked meat and tomato sauce that is very flavorful, very rich and makes a comforting dish perfect for lunch or dinner.
It is not a quick recipe, the secret of this delightful sauce consists in even the fact that it needs to be cooked for about 2 hours to reach to its fullest richness and intense flavor.
Usually this thick sauce must not be associated with spaghetti but rather with tagliatelle or fettuccine. Enjoy !
- Makes about 4 servings
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped
- 2 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3.5 oz (100g), diced pancetta
- 1/2 pound (250g) ground beef
- 1/2 pound (250g) ground pork
- 14 oz (400g) tomato puree
- 1 cup (240ml) milk
- 1/2 cup (120ml) beef broth or vegetable stock
- 1 tsp (1g) oregano
- 3/4 cup (200 ml) white wine
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Parmesan and fresh basil for serving
- In a large pan heat oil over medium high heat. Cook the onion, garlic, carrot and celery over medium heat for about 5 minutes until softened, stirring constantly.
- Add pancetta and cook for about 10 minutes more until pancetta gets crispy.
- Add ground meat and continue cooking until it changes its color. Break up any lumps of meat.
- Add wine and cook for 2 -3 minutes to reduce.
- Add milk, tomato puree, beef broth or vegetable stock, oregano, salt and pepper, and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and let it simmer for 2- 2.5 hours.
- Serve over cooked pasta with grated Parmesan and fresh basil leaves on top.