Main Dish RecipesDessert RecipesBreakfast RecipesAppetizer RecipesBread RecipesSoup RecipesSalad RecipesDrink RecipesHealthy RecipesThanksgiving RecipesChristmas Recipes
- Vegetable Egg Rolls - Fried or Baked
- Chocolate Terrine with Chocolate Covered Strawberries
- Red Velvet Cheesecake Brownies with Chocolate Lace Cups
- Basque Burnt Cheesecake
- Chocolate Mocha Fault Line Cake with Chocolate Sail
- Crispy Onion Rings
- Croque en Bouche or Croquembouche
- Spinach and Shiitake Mushroom Stuffing
Posted on December 10, 2012
I love homemade bread of any kind. Every time I see a new recipe I bookmark it and definitely try it as soon as I have the chance. Making my own pita bread was of course inevitable. I love the pockets that form and the various way you can fill them. Don't stick to only falafel or hummus, you can be very creative each time and make different meal.
This is an easy pita bread recipe, and if you follow the steps there is no way it won't work out. It doesn't require any other ingredients than a regular bread does and works pretty fast. Really worth give this a try.
1 hr 30 mins
- Makes about 8-10 pita bread
- 3 1/2 cups bread flour
- 25 g fresh yeast (2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast)
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups water at room temperature
- In a large bowl mix flour with sugar and salt. Dissolve yeast in water and pour over the flour mixture. Knead well until smooth and elastic. Transfer the dough to an oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap and and let it rise until double in size, for about 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven and and your baking stone to 470 F (240C). I don't have a baking stone so I used an iron cast lid placed on the oven rack, this works as well.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and divide into 8 pieces and shape each into a ball. Allow the balls of dough to rest, covered, for 15 minutes.
- Using a rolling pin, roll each dough ball into a circle that is about 8-inches in diameter and 1/4-inch thick. Allow them to rest, uncovered, for 10 minutes before baking
- Quickly place 1 piece of dough into the preheated stone or iron cast lid or skillet and bake for 3 or 4 minutes. The pita should be completely puffed, and form a pocket in the center.
- Wrap the pitas in a large kitchen towel to keep them soft.
Nutrition facts 1 Pita Bread - Fat:0.7 g, Carbohydrates:43.5 g, Sugar:0.7 g, Fiber:2.1 g, Protein:6.9 g, Cholesterol:0 mg, Calories from Fat 6, Sodium 295 mg, Vitamin A 0%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 1%, Iron 17%, Nutrition Grade B, Daily Percent Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet