Watch the video for this recipe:
I have to admit I don’t make quiche very often but when I do we really enjoy it. Quiche Lorraine is one of my favorite quiche recipes, easy to prepare and is made with a buttery crust, filled with bacon, cheese and topped with a creamy custard.
Quiche Lorraine is a great dish to serve for breakfast or lunch but it also makes a great appetizer for special occasions. Can be served warm or at room temperature and it keeps refrigerated for several days.
Recipe slightly adapted after simplyrecipes.com
- Makes about 6-8 servings
- 1 1/4 cups (160g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp (3g) salt
- 1/2 tsp (3g) sugar
- 1/2 cup (113g) unsalted butter, chilled, cut into small (1/2-inch) cubes
- 3-4 tbsp (45-60ml) ice water
- 8 oz (225g) bacon, cut in small pieces
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 tsp (3g) salt
- 2 tbsp chives, chopped, optional
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 1/2 cup (120ml) milk
- 1/2 cup (120g) heavy cream
- 1 cup (100g) Gruyere cheese, grated
- Prepare the crust. In a medium bowl whisk flour with sugar and salt. Incorporate butter using a pastry blender, a fork or a pastry processor, until crumbs are formed. Add water and stir until incorporated.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap, shape into a rectangle and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- On a lightly floured surface roll the dough to a 8x16 in (20x40cm) rectangle.
- Line a 5x14 in (12X36cm) tart pan with the rolled dough and press the edges. Trim the excess dough. Prick the shell with a fork and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C).
- Line the shell with parchment paper and fill with pie weights or beans. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove the parchment paper and weights and bake for 10 minutes more.
- Let it cool slightly on a cooling rack.
- Prepare the filling. Cook the bacon over medium-high heat until crisp. Remove and drain on paper towels.
- In a medium bowl whisk the eggs with salt, pepper, nutmeg and chives. Add cream and milk and whisk until well combined and air is incorporated.
- Spread the cooked bacon and grated cheese over the crust. Pour the egg mixture over the cheese.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until set and golden. Transfer to a cooling rack to cool slightly before serving.