- Easy Sourdough Bread
- Sourdough Starter from Scratch
- Easy Blueberry Muffins
- Easy Homemade Bread - 4 Ingredient Bread
- Irish Shepherd’s Pie
- Tortilla de Patatas - Spanish Omelette - Tortilla Española
- Oatmeal Lace Cookie Cups with Whipped Chocolate Ganache and Strawberry Jam
- Vegetable Egg Rolls - Fried or Baked
Raw Vegan Zebra Cake
Watch the video for this recipe:
This Raw Vegan Zebra cake is a delightful dessert not only for the ones who follow a raw vegan diet but even for those who doesn’t.
The cake is made with a chocolaty nutty crust and a smooth creamy filling, alternating vanilla with blueberry and blackberry filling. Alternating the two fillings creates an amazing zebra effect that makes it quite impressive and sophisticated. The blueberries and blackberries are giving a brilliant purple natural color that is simply astonishing, not to mention a great flavor too. Almost hard to believe the base of the filling is made from soaked cashews and makes such a healthier dessert.
Raw Vegan cakes are perfect for any occasion or simply for the moments you want to reduce refine sugar in your diet and replace it with healthier alternatives. This dessert has 0 cholesterol and is gluten-free which makes it great for any diet. Hope you’ll give it a try. Enjoy!
- Makes 8-10 servings
- 1 cup (100g) pecans (or walnuts, almonds, hazelnuts)
- 1/2 cup (60g) dates, pitted (about 8-10 dates)
- 2 tbsp (16g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp (10g) unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 tsp (5ml) water
- 1/4 tsp (1g) salt
- Vanilla Filling
- 2 cups (280g) raw cashews (soaked for 4-6 hrs or overnight)
- 1/3 cup (120g) liquid sweetener, (pure maple syrup, agave syrup or honey )
- 1/2 cup (100g) coconut oil, melted
- 1 tbsp (10g) vanilla extract
- 4 tbsp (60ml) lemon juice, from about one large lemon
- For Berry Filling
- 1/2 cup (75g) frozen blackberries
- 1/2 cup (75g) frozen blueberries
- Prepare the crust: Place nuts (pecans in this case), dates, shredded coconut, cocoa powder in the bowl of a food processor and process until crumbs form. Add water and process some more until the mixture is well combined and sticks together when squeezed between your fingers.
- Press the crust mixture into the bottom of a 7 inch (18cm) springform pan using your fingers or the back of a tablespoon or even the bottom of a glass. Set aside while you prepare the filling.
- Prepare the filling. Add all ingredients for vanilla base, pre-soaked cashews, lemon juice, liquid sweetener of your choice, melted coconut oil and vanilla extract into the bowl of a blender and process until creamy and smooth.
- Transfer in a bowl a bit more than half of vanilla mixture.
- Add frozen blackberries and blueberries over the remaining vanilla mixture into the blender and process until well combined and smooth. Transfer the mixture into a bowl.
- Assembly. Use a tablespoon for each mixture to create the zebra effect. Begin from the middle of the pan, take one spoon of vanilla mixture and add it over the crust then over it add a spoon of berry mixture and repeat this steps until all batter has been used.
- Rap the pan for few times, cover and freeze for at least 2 hours.
- Store the cake in the freezer, but leave it out for 15 minutes to thaw out before serving. Decorate the cake with fresh blueberries and blackberries and flowers for a more elegant look. Keep the lefotvers in the freezer. It can last up to 1 month in the freezer.