Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
Watch the video for this recipe:
If you like having sweet potatoes to your Thanksgiving table, but you want to bring a new way of serving them, try these twice baked stuffed potatoes and everybody will be delighted. Sweet and savory, with a soft and cheesy interior and a crispy shell, enriched with crispy bacon and toasted pecans, these potatoes are a crowd pleaser.
The best part is you can make them in advance with up to 24 hrs before, stuff them with the filling, cover and then refrigerate. Bake for the second time only before guests arrive and you will have perfectly warm stuffed sweet potatoes to your dinner table. Enjoy!
- Makes about 3 servings
- 3 medium sweet potatoes (about 7-8 oz; 200-230g each)
- 3-4 slices bacon
- 1 cup (100g) Cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup (60g) cream cheese
- 2 tbsp (15g) green onion, chopped
- 1/2 tsp (3g) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1g) nutmeg
- 1/4 cup (25g) pecans, toasted
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Wash the potatoes and prick with a fork several times on all sides.
- Rub each potato with olive oil and place on a parchment paper baking sheet.
- Bake for 45-60 minutes, or until tender when pierced with a knife.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook bacon until crisp. Transfer to a plate lined with a paper towel to drain.
- Make a cut on top of each potato and scoop out the inside of each potato and transfer into a medium bowl.
- Add salt and nutmeg, and use a fork to stir them in. Stir in ¾ cup (75g) cheese, cream cheese, green onion. Crumble the bacon and add it to the mixture. Leave some crumbs for topping.
- Divide the potato mixture back into the potato shells.
- Top with remaining ¼ cup (25g) cheddar cheese.
- Return to the oven and bake for another 15-20 minutes until the cheese is melted and golden brown.
- If you want to make these in advance, skip the second baking process, cover the stuffed potatoes and refrigerate for up to 24 hours, and only bake for the second time just before serving.
- Before serving, sprinkle the remaining bacon, chopped toasted pecans and green onion. Enjoy.