This Meat and Potato Skillet recipe is a hearty and flavorful one-pan dish that will please the whole family. It is easy to make, budget-friendly and can be ready in 30 minutes which makes it perfect for busy weeknight dinners or weekend lunch.
How to make Meat and Potato Skillet
The dish begins by cooking the potatoes into the skillet. I like to use a combination of regular potatoes and sweet potatoes. Feel free to use only one type of potatoes if that is what you have on hand. Cook the potato cubes until tender and transfer to a medium bowl. It is best to use a non-stick skillet if possible.
Now it’s time for browning the ground pork and beef in the skillet, adding in diced onions and garlic for added flavor. To add complexity to the dish, add a mixture of seasonings such as smoked paprika, cumin, chili powder and thyme. At this point I like to add tomato paste which brings an amazing flavor to the whole dish. Stir it in and add the cooked potatoes back into the skillet. Top with grated cheese and broil for 3 -4 minutes or until cheese is melted. You can garnish the dish with fresh herbs and crispy bacon.
The sweetness of the sweet potatoes pairs perfectly with the savory beef and pork mixture, and the potatoes add a nice texture to the dish.
Serve this dish with fresh salad and crusty bread for a filling and satisfying meal. It’s a great way to incorporate some vegetables in your diet.
You can always adjust this recipe by adding your own favorite vegetables such as bell peppers, mushrooms, or even zucchini, and also you can switch up the meat and make it with turkey or chicken.
Hope you will try this comforting Meat and Potato Skillet as I am sure it will soon become a family favorite dish in your recipe rotation. Tag me on Instagram if you do and enjoy!
Other Potato Recipes You May Like
These Crispy Sliced Roasted Potatoes are one of the best-roasted potatoes you can ever make. Potatoes never looked more beautiful than this and they taste as good as they look. This Potato Gratin is one of the best potato side dishes you can ever prepare and is perfect for various occasions. This Spanish Tortilla de Patatas is also very easy to prepare and pairs perfectly with fresh salad or crusty bread.
Meat and Potato Skillet
For the Potatoes
- 2 tbsp (30g) vegetable oil
- 1 pound (450g) red potatoes , cut into cubes
- 1 large (14 oz- 400g) sweet potato , cut into cubes
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup (60ml) water
For the Meat
- 1 (5 oz- 150g) medium onion , diced
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 ⅓ pound (600g) lean ground beef and pork
- 1 tbsp (7g) smoked paprika
- 1 tsp (3g) chili powder
- 2 tsp (7g) ground cumin
- 1 tbsp (3g) thyme
- 1 tsp (5g) salt
- 1/3 cup (70g) tomato paste
- 1 cup (100g) Cheddar cheese
- fresh herbs
Prepare the potatoes.
- In a 9-10 inch (23-25) frying pan, heat the oil over medium heat. Place the potato cubes into the skillet, and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly. Add some salt, pepper and water.
- Cover and simmer until the water is evaporated. Remove the lid and continue cooking while stirring constantly, until the potatoes are tender. Transfer the potatoes to a medium bowl.
Prepare the meat filling.
- In the same skillet, add about 1 tbsp of oil, add the onion and cook for 5 minutes until softened. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute more.
- Add the ground meat, and cook for about 10-12 minutes or until the meat is cooked through. Crumble the meat while cooking.
- Add paprika, cumin, chili powder, thyme, salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Add tomato paste and stir again to combine.
- Transfer the potatoes back into the skillet, and stir to combine with the cooked meat.
- Spread the grated cheese on top. Transfer to oven and broil for 3-4 minutes until cheese is melted.
- Garnish with fresh herbs and enjoy!