- Triple Chocolate Cranberry Mousse Cake
- Crispy Sliced Roasted Potatoes
- Snickers Mousse Cake - Chocolate Caramel Peanut Mousse Cake
- Turkey Roulade with Cranberry and Spinach Stuffing
- Refined Sugar Free Date Cocoa Brownies
- Easy Chocolate Crinkle Cookies
- Twisted Pumpkin Bagels
- Easy Halloween Chocolate Pumpkin Cake
Torta Caprese - Flourless Chocolate Almond Cake
Watch the video for this recipe:
Torta Caprese is a traditional cake of the beautiful island of Capri from Italy. It is a dense, moist flourless chocolate cake enriched with ground almonds that bring a great flavor and texture. Also as no flour is used makes this dessert a perfect choice for those in search of gluten-free dessers.
It is said that this cake is the result of a mistake as in the early twentieth century the chef, Carmine Di Fiore, forgot to add flour to the batter. The result was simply amazing, a soft and moist cake that was simply divine. Ever since this dessert is one of the most appreciated cakes and can be found in various pastry shops all over the Capri and along the Amalfi coast.
- Makes about 8 servings
- 7 oz (200g) peeled almonds
- 7 oz (200g) semisweet chocolate
- 2/3 cup (150g) butter
- 3/4 cup (150g) sugar, divided
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 tsp (1g) salt
- Grease and line with parchment paper a 8 or 9 inch (20-23 cm) springform pan (with a removable base). Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Place the peeled almonds into a food processor and process until finely ground but with still some remaining chunky pieces for a crunch texture.
- Melt chocolate and butter over a bain-marie until smooth. Let it cool slightly.
- Meanwhile separate egg whites from yolks.
- Mix yolks with ½ cup (100g) sugar and salt until thick and pale yellow colored.
- Mix in cooled chocolate and add ground almonds.
- Whip egg whites until foamy using a mixer. Gradually add ¼ cup (50g) sugar and whip until stiff peaks form. Gently fold the whipped whites into chocolate mixture.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 30-40 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with few crumbs attached.
- Let it cool completely in the pan over a cooling rack.
- When cooled invert onto a serving platter and dust with powdered sugar.
- Serve if desired with whipped cream and fresh berries.