I have always loved making recipes from scratch and this Strawberry Easter Cake makes no difference – strawberry layer cake with white chocolate strawberry frosting, topped with chocolate ganache and decorated in Easter spirit. It is one of the best strawberry cakes I’ve made, it’s quite easy to prepare and is perfect for celebrating spring and Easter holiday.
The cake is topped with a chocolate nest which is made using chocolate and vermicelli noodles. I think it looks quite amazing and is a great way to decorate your Easter cake. Enjoy!
Strawberry Easter Cake
- 2 cups (250g) all-purpose flour
- 2 ½ tsp (10g) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (3g) salt
- 3/4 cup (170g) unsalted butter , room temperature
- 1 ¼ cup (250g) sugar
- 1/2 cup (120g) sour cream
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsp (10g) vanilla extract
- 7 oz (200g) fresh strawberries , pureed
- Red food coloring
Strawberry Jam - makes 1/3 cup (80g) jam
- 7 oz (200g) fresh or frozen strawberries , cut into quarters
- 2 tbsp (30g) sugar
White Chocolate Strawberry Frosting
- 5.5 oz (150g) white chocolate , small pieces
- 1/4 cup (60g) whipping cream
- 10 oz (300g) cream cheese , room temperature
- 1/3 cup (40g) powdered sugar
- 1 ¼ cup (300g) whipping cream (35% fat) , chilled
- 1/3 cup (80g) seeded strawberry jam
- 6-7 tsp (6g) freeze-dried strawberries , finely ground
- red food coloring
- 7 oz (200g) strawberry , sliced
- 3.5 oz (100g) semisweet chocolate
- 1/2 cup (120g) whipping cream
- 2 oz (60g) semisweet chocolate
- 0.7 oz (20g) rice vermicelli noodles
- mini chocolate Easter eggs
- Prepare the strawberry cake layers. Preheat oven to 350F (180C). Grease and line with parchment paper three 7 inch (18 cm) round cake pans.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl add butter with sugar and mix for few minutes until creamy. Add eggs one at a time and mix until well incorporated.
- Add sour cream and vanilla extract and mix to combine. Gradually mix in flour mixture and in the end add fresh strawberry puree and red food coloring.
- Pour the batter evenly into the prepared pans.
- Bake for about 25-30 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let pans cool on a cooling rack for 10 minutes.
- Remove the cakes from the pan and let them cool completely.
- Prepare strawberry jam for the frosting. Place strawberries and sugar into a small saucepan and and bring to a boil while stirring constantly. Simmer for about 15 minutes or until thickens and remove from heat. Sieve to remove the seeds. Set aside to cool.
- Prepare the white chocolate strawberry frosting. Place white chocolate and ¼ cup (60g) cream into a heatproof bowl and place over a pan with simmering water. Melt over low heat. Let it cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl mix cream cheese until smooth. Add powdered sugar and melted chocolate and mix to combine. Mix in strawberry jam and red food coloring. Set aside.
- In another bowl mix whipping cream until stiff peaks form. Gently fold the whipped cream into the white chocolate and cream cheese mixture.
- Assemble the cake: Cut the tops of the cakes to create flat surfaces. Place one cake layer on your serving plate. Spread evenly with about a third of frosting. Top with fresh strawberry slices. Add the second layer of cake. Spread evenly with another third of frosting. Top with strawberry slices. Add the last layer of cake. Gradually spread the remaining frosting on top and sides of the cake. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. The cake needs to be chilled before adding the chocolate ganache drippings.
- Prepare the chocolate ganache. Place chocolate and cream in heatproof bowl and place over a pan with simmering water. Melt over low heat.
- Use a spoon and start making drips around the edges. If the ganache hardened too much heat it a bit over bain-marie to get to a pouring consistency. When you finish all the drips on the edges fill the top with ganache and spread it evenly using the offset spatula. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before decorating.
- Meanwhile prepare the chocolate nest. Melt chocolate over bain marie. Add vermicelli noodles and coat with chocolate.
- Arrange the coated vermicelli into a small bowl lined with plastic wrap. Add a smaller bowl wrapped in plastic wrap on top. Refrigerate for at least 15 minutes to set.
- Place the chocolate nest on top of the cake, fill with mini eggs and decorate the bottom of the cake with mini eggs if desired.