Main Dish RecipesDessert RecipesBreakfast RecipesAppetizer RecipesBread RecipesSoup RecipesSalad RecipesDrink RecipesHealthy RecipesThanksgiving RecipesChristmas Recipes
Soft caramel on top, vanilla flavor and creamy consistency. Elegant and absolutely delicious.
1 hrs 5 mins
- Makes 4-6 servings
- For the topping
- 120 g sugar
- 30 ml water
- For the custard
- 3 eggs
- 500 ml (2 cups) milk
- 50 g sugar
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1/2 tsp corn starch (optional)
- Heat the oven to 325°F/160°C.
- Heat the sugar and water in a saucepan until the liquid turns golden brown. Immediately, pour the caramel into a 7 inch (18 cm) cake pan coating the sides too.
- Pour the milk into the same saucepan. Add the vanilla bean seeds and the pod into the milk. Heat the milk but do not bring to boil, then set aside to infuse for few minutes.
- In a separate bowl beat the eggs with the sugar. Add the corn starch. Pour the milk over the egg mixture.
- Pour the custard carefully over the prepared pan and place the pan in a larger pan. Pour hot water into the bottom pan to come half-way up the sides. Bake until golden for about 45 minutes to an hour.
- Cool completely. Then cover and refrigerate for at least a couple of hours. To serve turn out onto a plate.
Nutrition facts 1 Serving - Calories:179, Fat:3.9 g, Saturated Fat:1.8 g, Carbohydrates:31.0 g, Sugar:25.3 g, Protein:5.6 g, Cholesterol:100 mg, Calories from Fat 35, Sodium 81mg, Vitamin A 5%, Calcium 12%, Vitamin C 26%, Iron 2%, Nutrition Grade B, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.