Everyone loves doughnuts, of all kinds, no doubt about that. As apple season is here these soft, fluffy apple doughnuts filled with spiced apples are simply one of the best treats you can enjoy this fall.
These doughnuts are fried by themselves with no filling. I’ve made the filing separately so you can be able to fill them with whatever you like best. You can always change the filling according to seasonal fruits or go wild with various other fillings like chocolate, vanilla pastry cream, caramel, and so on.
You can always consider baking the doughnuts for a healthier version, though the results are slightly different. Hope you’ll try these Apple Doughnuts and enjoy making them as much as we did.
Apple French Toast Roll-Ups
- 2 ½ cups (315g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp (2g) salt
- 1 tbsp (15g) brown sugar
- Zest of a lemon
- 15 g fresh yeast (1 tsp active dry yeast)
- 1 tsp (5g) sugar
- 2 tbsp (28ml) oil
- 3/4 cup (180ml) lukewarm milk
- 1 egg , beaten
- 3-4 medium apples (about 600-800g) , peeled
- juice from half of lemon
- 2 tbsp (30g) brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp (1g) ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp (1g) ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1/3 cup (80ml) water
- 1/3 cup (70g) sugar
- 1/2 tsp (1g) ground cinnamon
- Prepare doughnut dough. In a large bowl whisk together the flour, salt and sugar.
- In a small bowl stir fresh yeast with 1 tsp sugar until it liquefies. Dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup milk and then add to the flour mixture. Add the oil, egg and rest of milk and start kneading until smooth and slightly pulls away from the sides of the bowl.
- Cover with plastic wrap. Let it rest for about 1 hour at room temperature (warm space) until doubled in size.
- Prepare apple filling. Place apple pieces, sugar, lemon juice, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and water in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat for about 20 minutes or until apples are soft. Transfer apples into a bowl and set aside to cool until ready to use.
- On a floured surface, using a rolling pin roll the dough until ½ inch (1 cm) inch thick.
- Use a doughnut cutter or 3 inch (7.5 cm) round cutter to cut the doughnuts .
- Re-roll the rest of the dough and cut into doughnuts until no dough is left.
- Place the doughnuts on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, about 2 inches apart. Cover with a kitchen towel and let rest for about 30 minutes.
- In a bowl mix together sugar and cinnamon.
- Heat 2 inches of oil in a deep pot or fryer to 320-350F (160-180C). Line a baking sheet with paper towels.
- Once hot, place 2, 3 doughnuts at a time upside down and fry until lightly golden brown on the bottom. Flip and fry the other side until golden brown.
- Remove each doughnut and drain on paper towels. Repeat until all of the doughnuts are fried.
- While still hot, toss each one with the cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Transfer apple filling into a piping bag fitted with a (9 mm) plain tip. Use a skewer to create a hole on the side of each doughnut.
- Fill each doughnut with apple filling. Enjoy!
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and tag @homecookingadventure on Instagram and hashtag it #homecookingadventure.
Could you give time and temp to bake doughnuts please
These were amazing! I used the apple filling to fill each donut to the brim, so there wasn’t enough for all of them. I recommend doing this and doubling the filling recipe.