This Profiterole Cake is a rich decadent impressive dessert that will satisfy both chocolate and profiterole lovers.
The cake is made with a moist cocoa brownie at the bottom, topped with chocolate mousse and cream cheese frosting filled profiteroles. The cake is then covered with chocolate glaze and voila! A Profiterole Cake that is quite easy to prepare and a true delight. Profiteroles are making a beautiful contrast to chocolate mousse filling with makes it quite astonishing, it is the kind of dessert perfect for any occasion and any time of the year.
Choux au Craquelin – Crispy Cream Puffs
Orange Chocolate Mousse Domes
Mango Raspberry Mousse Cake
- 1/2 cup (110g) unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup (150g) sugar
- 1/2 cup (60g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp (1g) instant coffee powder
- 1/2 tsp (2g) salt
- 1 tsp (5g) vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup (62g) all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp (40g) unsalted butter
- 3 tbsp (45ml) water
- 3 tbsp (45ml) milk
- 1 tsp (5g) sugar
- 1/4 tsp (1g) salt
- 1/2 cup (62g) all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
Cream Cheese Filling
- 6 oz (170g) cream cheese , room temperature
- 3 tbsp (25g) powdered sugar
- 1 tsp (5g) almond extract
- 2/3 cup (160g) whipping cream (35% fat) , chilled
- 10 oz (300g) semi-sweet chocolate
- 1 cup (240g) whipping cream
- 2 tsp (8g) gelatin powder
- 3 tbsp (45ml) cold water
- 1 1/3 cup (320g) whipping cream (35% fat) , chilled
- 5.5 oz (150g) semi-sweet chocolate
- 6 oz (170g) whipping cream
- chopped chocolate
- Remaining profiteroles
- Remaining frosting
- Prepare cocoa brownie. Preheat oven to 320F (160C) and line the bottom of a 8 inch (20cm) pan with parchment paper.
- Place butter into a medium saucepan and melt over medium-low heat. Add sugar, salt, cocoa powder and instant coffee. Mix to combine and remove from heat. Let cool slightly.
- Add vanilla extract and incorporate eggs one at time. Add flour and mix until well combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 25-30 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean or with few crumbs.
- Let the brownie cool completely in the pan.
- Prepare the choux pastry for profiteroles. Preheat oven to 350F (180C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Sift the flour. In a saucepan bring the milk, water, sugar, salt and butter to a boil.
- Remove from heat and add flour all at once and incorporate mixing energetically with a wooden spoon until homogenous.
- Return the saucepan over low heat and while stirring cook for 1-2 minutes more to pull out the moisture from the batter and until it pulls away from the sides of the pan. You will see some of the dough sticks to the bottom of the pan.
- Transfer batter to a large bowl and allow to cool slightly. Add the eggs one at a time, carefully incorporating each into the batter using the wooden spoon or even a stand mixer. It will result in a smooth, homogenous batter which still holds its shape.
- Fit a pastry bag with a 1/3 inch (9mm) plain tip and pipe the dough on the prepared baking sheet into small circles, up to 1 inch (2 cm) diameter.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until browned and puffed.
- Prick each with a skewer to release steam and allow to cool on a wire rack. When cooled enough poke a hole in the base of each profiterole using a small plain tip.
- Prepare cream cheese filling. In a large bowl add cream cheese and mix until smooth.
- Add powdered sugar and almond extract and mix until well combined. In another bowl whip the cream with an electric mixer until it forms stiff peaks. Gradually fold the whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture.
- Pour the filling into a piping bag fitted with a small (5mm) plain tip.
- Fill the cooled profiteroles by piping cream into the hole. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Prepare chocolate mousse. In a heat proof bowl add the semi-sweet chocolate and 1 cup (240g) whipping cream. Place the bowl over a saucepan with simmering water, over low heat, until all the chocolate is melted.
- Meanwhile dissolve gelatin in cold water and let it swell for about 5 to 10 minutes. Dissolve gelatin over low heat, pour over the melted chocolate and stir to combine. Let the chocolate mixture cool completely at room temperature.
- Whip the remaining 1 1/3 cup (320g) chilled whipping cream until soft peaks form. Add melted chocolate mixture and mix until well combined.
- Assemble the cake. Line the sides of the pan with acetate sheet for easier removal. This is optional.
- Spread few tablespoons of mousse over the cooled brownie. Arrange profiteroles in a single layer over the entire surface of the cake. Cover with the remaining chocolate mousse and smooth the top. Cover and refrigerate to set for 4-6 hours or overnight.
- Prepare chocolate glaze. Place chocolate and cream in heatproof bowl and place over a pan with simmering water. Melt over low heat.
- Remove the cake from the pan and place it over a rack or simply on a bowl placed over a parchment paper lined baking sheet to collect the excess. Pour the glaze on top and edges of the cake. Use an offset spatula to remove the drips and decorate the bottom of the cake with chopped chocolate. Transfer the cake to a serving platter and refrigerate for 20-30 minutes.
- Decorate with profiteroles and remaining cream cheese frosting. Enjoy!.
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and tag @homecookingadventure on Instagram and hashtag it #homecookingadventure.
cum se pot adapta cantitatile pt. o tava de 26 cm? multumesc!
Cantitatile se pot adapta folosind regula de trei simpla.
Spor si pofta buna!
What kind of Cocoa powder is that?? It looks almost black and is way darker than Dutch Cocoa.
Hola! No tengo extracto de almendra, con qué puedo sustituirlo? Gracias 🙂
El extracto de vainilla también es bueno.
The video and the blog describing the recipe is really detailed and awesome..! It really tempts us into making them…!
A query from my end. Instead of cream cheese filling, can we use pastry cream instead. Will this combination work?
What size eggs or grams do you use for the eggs? Made so many attempts always got them flat instead of rising?
Pot sa inlocuiesc faina alba cu faina de amande pt brownie? Multumesc,
Almost all recipes are for 20 cm round shapes. Could you tell me the quantities for a 26 cm round shape? Thank you.
Hi, can you make this in advance or if not once assembled how long will it keep?