Brown Butter Snickerdoodle Cookies are the perfect treat to prepare during this festive time, as they are bursting with warm and cozy cinnamon flavor. It’s almost as if these cookies were made to bring comfort and joy to those who indulge in them.
The holiday season is one of the most magical times of the year, and what better way to celebrate than with some delicious, homemade cookies?
One of the things that make these Brown Butter Snickerdoodle cookies so special is the use of cream of tartar instead of baking powder. This unique ingredient not only adds a tangy flavor to the cookies but also helps them rise more, resulting in a softer, more pillowy texture. The combination of cinnamon and cream of tartar creates a flavor profile that is truly unbeatable.
Browning the butter gives it an irresistibly nutty flavor that perfectly complements the cinnamon and cream of tartar. This extra step may take a bit more time, but the end result is well worth it. The aroma that fills the house while these cookies are baking is nothing short of heavenly, making them an absolute must-bake for the holiday season.
And the best part? These cookies are incredibly easy to make. The dough doesn’t require any chilling before baking, so you can have freshly baked cookies in less than 30 minutes. This means that you can whip up a batch of these Brown Butter Snickerdoodle cookies whenever the mood strikes, whether it’s for a cozy night in with loved ones or a festive holiday gathering.
How to make brown butter snickerdoodle cookies
To begin, place butter into a small saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until the butter gets a nutty brown color, which may take a few minutes.
Sieve the brown butter into a large bowl and let it cool. Then, add both sugars over the brown butter and start mixing until the mixture becomes creamy. Add the egg and vanilla and continue mixing until everything is well incorporated.
In a separate medium bowl, mix flour with cream of tartar, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Gradually incorporate this mixture into the butter mixture with the mixer on low.
Use an ice cream scoop to take equal amounts of dough and shape into balls. Roll each ball into a sugar-cinnamon mixture and place them on parchment paper lined baking sheets. Sprinkle flaky sea salt on top of each cookie.
Bake the cookies for 7-9 minutes at 375°F (190°C) until the edges are browned and the centers are puffed.
These Brown Butter Snickerdoodle cookies are a perfect treat for any occasion, and the nutty brown butter, cinnamon, and sea salt make them truly irresistible. And with their quick and easy preparation, you can have a batch of these cookies ready to go in no time.
If you’re looking to get ahead on your holiday baking, these cookies are a great option to make in advance. You can even freeze the baked cookies for up to two months, so you’ll have a delicious treat ready to go whenever you need it. So go ahead and start your holiday baking with these irresistible cookies! If you do, don’t forget to share the photos with me on Instagram. Enjoy!
Other cookie recipes you may like to try
These Eggless Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies are the best oatmeal cookies I’ve ever made from scratch. They are crispy on the outside, soft and chewy inside, with bits of chocolate, by far one of the best cookies you can have alongside coffee or tea.
If you like this delightful combination between chocolate and peanut butter you must definitely try this Peanut Butter Stuffed Chocolate Cookies. These rich and soft double chocolate cookies have a creamy peanut butter filling that turns into an amazing explosion of flavor and texture.
These Butterless Chocolate Chip Cookies made without butter are some of the best cookies I have ever made. The cookies are rich with chocolate flavor, soft in texture, and have a delicious taste that is in no way compromised by the absence of butter.
Brown Butter Snickerdoodle Cookies
- 1/2 cup (110g) butter , unsalted
- 1/3 cup (70g) light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup (70g) sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp (5g) vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ cup (160g) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp (3g) cream of tartar
- 1/2 tsp (3g) baking soda
- 1/2 tsp (3g) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2g) cinnamon
- 2 tbsp (30g) sugar
- 2 tsp (6g) cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C) . Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Place butter into a small saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until butter gets a nutty brown color. It may take a few minutes.
- Sieve the butter into a large bowl and let cool to room temperature.
- Add both sugars over the brown butter and start mixing until creamy. Add egg and vanilla and continue mixing until well incorporated and creamy.
- In a medium bowl mix flour with cream of tartar, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- With the mixer on low gradually incorporate it into the butter mixture.
- In a small bowl whisk together the sugar and cinnamon.
- Use an ice cream scoop to take equal amounts of dough (about one big tablespoon) and roll into balls with your hands.
- Roll each ball into the sugar cinnamon mixture and place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Sprinkle flaky sea salt (fleur de sel) on top of each.
- Bake for 7-9 minutes until edges are browned and centers are puffed.
- Cool completely on a cooling rack.