This Chocolate Layer Cake is an elegant and decadent chocolate dessert, by far one of the best chocolate cakes ever. It is moist and rich, with thin layers of chocolate sponge cake brushed with espresso coffee, an irresistible chocolate and cream cheese frosting and with a silky chocolate ganache topping. It is simply hard to resist such a treat and it is definitely a true delight for all chocolate lovers.
How to prepare the chocolate layer cake?
The recipe for this cake is really easy and quick. For the thin chocolate sponge cake layers you simply need to divide the batter in two large baking sheets. This will easily ensure thin cake layers that don’t need any other trimmings. They also bake faster and cool more quickly than regular sponge cakes.
While the sponge cakes cool you can prepare the chocolate cream cheese frosting. There is no way you can go wrong with this amazing chocolate frosting. It whips up in a matter of minutes and all you have to do to rest is to assemble the cake.
Assemble the cake.
Divide the chocolate sponge cakes in half and start assembling the cake. Brush each layer of cake with a generous amount of coffee espresso. That will add moisture and enhance the chocolate flavor. You won’t feel the coffee at all. Spread a quarter of chocolate frosting and repeat with all the chocolate cake layers. Refrigerate the cake to set for at least 1 hour.
Before serving you can trim the edges of the cake and cut in 8 or 12 slices. Pipe chocolate ganache on top of each slice and voila:) the chocolate cake is done. Easy, quick and totally impressive,
Hope you will try this stunning Chocolate Layer Cake and enjoy it as much as we did!
If you like layers cake you might want to try this beautiful Strawberry Lemon Layer Cake or White Chocolate Cranberry Orange Layer Cake as well.
Chocolate Decadence Cake
Chocolate Swiss Roll Cake
Crazy Chocolate Cake
Chocolate Magic Custard Cake
Tarte au chocolat- Chocolate Tart
Chocolate Layer Cake
- 8 eggs
- 1 cup (200g) sugar , divided
- 1 tsp (5g) vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (60g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (60g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp (2g) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2g) salt
For brushing the chocolate sponge layers
- 3.5 fl.oz (100ml) espresso coffee , room temperature
Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8.5 oz (240g) semisweet chocolate
- 2/3 cup (160g) whipping cream
- 10 oz (300g) cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup (60g) powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp (16g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp (5g) vanilla extract
- 1 ⅔ cup (400g) whipping cream (35% fat) , chilled
- 7 oz (200g) semisweet chocolate
- 7 oz (200g) whipping cream
Prepare chocolate sponge cake.
- Preheat the oven to 350F (180C). Grease and line with parchment paper two 12×16 inch (30x40cm) baking sheets. Set aside.
- Separate egg whites from yolks. Add ¾ cup (150g) sugar over the yolks and mix until creamy. Add vanilla and mix to combine.
- In a medium bowl whisk flour with cocoa powder, baking powder and salt and incorporate into the yolk mixture.
- Whip whites until foamy. Gradually add ¼ cup (50g) sugar and continue whipping until stiff peaks form.
- Gently and gradually fold the whites into the yolks mixture.
- Divide batter evenly into the prepared baking sheets. Spread the batter evenly and bake for about 8-10 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Sprinkle the sponge cakes with powdered sugar and cover them with parchment paper. This helps the sponge cake not stick. Flip the cake over the paper. Remove the parchment paper it was baked with. Let cool completely.
Prepare the chocolate cream cheese frosting.
- Place chocolate and 2/3 cup (160g) cream into a heatproof bowl and place over a pan with simmering water. Melt over low heat. Let cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl mix cream cheese until smooth. Add powdered sugar, cocoa powder and vanilla extract and mix to combine. Mix in melted chocolate.
- Add whipping cream and mix until stiff peaks form.
Assemble the cake.
- Cut each sponge cake in half.
- Place a bit of frosting onto a serving platter. Add the first layer of sponge cake. Brush with espresso coffee.
- Gently spread ¼ of the chocolate cream cheese frosting.
- Repeat with the remaining sponge cake layers.
- Top the cake with remaining chocolate cream cheese frosting.
- Refrigerate the cake for at least 1 hour or even overnight.
- Trim the edges of the cake and cut into 8 or 12 rectangle slices.
Prepare chocolate ganache.
- Place chocolate and whipping cream in a heatproof bowl and place over a pan with simmering water. Melt over low heat.
- Let cool at room temperature until thickens to a piping consistency.
- Transfer the chocolate ganache to a piping bag fitted with 1M tip.
- Pipe chocolate ganache on top of each slice.
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and tag @homecookingadventure on Instagram and hashtag it #homecookingadventure.
Yummy, looks fantastic I have all the ingredients in hand and so I better get started. I believe I’ll taste good too 😋. Thank you for your effort chef 🌞😎
Hope you will try it out:) Enjoy!
What temp should the oven be set to?
The oven should be preheated at 350F (180C). Mentioned in the video, add it to the directions as well. Thank you for noticing.
I made this cake on the weekend & it was something else! The espresso works really well with the chocolate and the layers were so moist and fluffy. The cream cheese chocolate frosting was spot on too! Also, I love the printable recipe and adjustable servings! Thanks for an awesome production
So glad you enjoyed the cake John.. we really loved it too:)
For the cream cheese frosting the whipping cream that states 35% fat is it the same dairy whipping cream as the one that is in the chocalate mixture
yes.. same whipping cream
This looks amazing! Is there something I could use to replace the espresso as I am not a coffee drinker and do not like the taste?
You can simply leave the espresso out. Will be as good.
Ella, I am little confused, in the recipe for the Chocolate Ganache says : 7 oz (200g) semisweet chocolate and 7 oz (200g) whipping cream. For the Chocolate Cream Cheese frosting: 8.5 oz (240g) semisweet chocolate and 2/3 cup (160g) whipping cream.
But in the recipe where you uses the Chocolate Ganache?
The chocolate ganache is only for the topping.. to pipe on top of each slice.. that can be optional
So sorry, I hadn’t finished reading the recipe, it’s delicious
This looks delicious, can it be frozen?
Yes.. it freezes really well.