This Chocolate Cherry Ice Cream Cake is a delightful and refreshing dessert you can prepare during the hot summer days. What can be more satisfying than serving a big slice of ice cream cake with your friends or family.
This ice cream cake is very easy and quick to prepare. It consists of a moist and intense cherry brownie at the bottom, a no churn vanilla ice cream with bits of semisweet chocolate and served with a fresh cherry coulis. As it is an ice cream cake, it is best to make it in advance, like a day before, to have time to set.
As cherries are in season now, I’ve made this ice cream cake with fresh cherries, but feel free to change the fruits with any other seasonal fruits you like best. Berries are also a good alternative to cherries. Decorate the cake just before serving if you don’t want the fruits on top to be frozen.
The ice cream layer is extremely easy to prepare. No need to use store-bought ice cream and let it soften. For this no churn ice cream you need some chilled whipping cream, sweetened condensed milk and your favorite flavoring. This time it is vanilla, but use any other flavoring you like best, like almond, rum, mint, coffee, coconut extracts and so on.
If you like ice cream recipes you can also consider trying this amazing Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream or Nutella Ice Cream. These fruit ice cream recipes are also a great choice: Cherry Semifreddo, Baked Alaska, Melon Ice Cream and Apricot Ice Cream.
Hope you will try this Ice Cream Cake and let me know if you try it out. Enjoy!
Chocolate Cherry Ice Cream Cake
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup (135g) sugar
- 1/2 cup (110g) vegetable oil
- 1 tsp (5g) rum extract
- 1/2 tsp (2g) salt
- 1/2 cup (60g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup (60g) all-purpose flour
- 9 oz (250g) fresh cherries , pitted
Vanilla Ice Cream
- 2 cups (500g) whipping cream
- 12 oz (330g) sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tsp (10g) vanilla extract
- 1.5 oz mini chocolate rocks
Cherry Coulis, optional
- 10 oz (300g) cherries , fresh or frozen
- 1/3 cup (70g) sugar
- 2 tbsp (30g) lemon juice
- Fresh Cherries
- chocolate decorations
Prepare the cocoa brownie.
- Preheat the oven to 350F (180C). Grease and line a 8 inch (20cm) springform pan with parchment paper.
- In a bowl whisk eggs with sugar until well combined. Incorporate oil and rum extract. Sift the flour, salt and cocoa powder and whisk to fully incorporate.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Add the pitted cherries on top and bake for 15-20 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes clean or with a few moist crumbs attached.
- Let cool completely.
Prepare the vanilla ice cream.
- In a large bowl whip cream until stiff peaks form. Mix in the sweetened condensed milk and vanilla extract until well combined. Fold in the mini chocolate rocks.
- Transfer the cake onto a serving platter.
- Add a cake ring around the cake and line with an acetate sheet.
- Pour the ice cream mixture over the cake. Smooth the top. Freeze for 6 hours or overnight to set completely.
Prepare the cherry coulis for serving.
- Place the cherries, sugar and lemon juice in a small saucepan and place over medium heat, bring to a boil and cook for about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and purée with a blender.
- Strain through a fine-mesh strainer and let cool.
- Before serving decorate the cake with fresh cherries and chocolate decorations and serve with cherry coulis. Enjoy!