This recipe for cherry and sweet cheese dumplings is quick and easy and makes a wonderful dessert, breakfast or dinner. These dumplings can be made with or without fruits inside, depending o the season you can go with dried fruits as well, as raisins for instance. Different variations can be made on the breadcrumbs mixture too: add vanilla instead of cinnamon, add ground walnuts, whatever you think you will like best.
Cheese dumplings are one of those recipes I repeat pretty often for my family. Whenever I need something delicious and quick I choose this recipe. It is done in almost 30 minutes and kids love it. It can be considered a dessert but I often make these for dinner or for breakfast.
Cherry & Sweet Cheese Dumplings
- 500 g farmers cheese
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 eggs
- 6 tbsp semolina
- 2 tbsp flour
- fresh cherries , seeded and drained
- 200 g dried fine breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp oil
- 5-6 tbsp sugar
- In a medium frying pan mix breadcrumbs with oil and cook on low-medium heat until golden brown. Stir constantly to prevent burning. Remove from heat and set aside to cool. When cool enough stir in sugar and cinnamon.
- In a medium bowl mix farmers cheese with eggs and sugar. Add semolina and flour and mix until well blended. Set aside for few minutes until you prepare the cherries.
- Bring a medium pot of water to boil then reduce the heat to a low simmer. Take a spoonful of the cheese mixture and form small balls after inserting cherries in the middle. Put the dumplings into the hot water. Dumplings are done when they rise at the surface of the water, about 8-10 minutes. Using a strainer remove from water and roll them in the breadcrumbs mixture. Sprinkle the rest of breadcrumbs mixture over the dumplings and serve.