These Chocolate Cake Balls are elegant, delicious treats that are quite impressive and perfect for various occasions. They are coated in three types of chocolate and have a smooth, fudgy interior.
How to make chocolate cake balls.
These cake balls are made from scratch, with a mixture of chocolate cake and cream cheese frosting. First, you have to prepare the chocolate cake and let it cool. For the chocolate cake, I chose a very easy eggless chocolate recipe that you don’t need more than 5 minutes to have it ready and place in the oven.
After the cake, prepare the cream cheese frosting by mixing the room-temperature butter with powdered sugar, your favorite flavoring extract and cream cheese. Once cooled, turn the chocolate cake into crumbs. Mix the cake crumbs with the cream cheese frosting. Roll the mixture into balls and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Dip each ball into tempered chocolate.
Though it may seem like there are a lot of steps, each step is easy to prepare and there is no way it can turn into a failure. You can also use this recipe to make cake pops. Place the cake balls on skewers, for an impressive presentation. These chocolate cake balls can also make a wonderful homemade gift idea during the holidays too. Hope you will give them a try as they are absolutely a delightful treat.
Chocolate Cake Balls
- 3/4 cup (150g) sugar
- 1 ½ cup (190g) flour
- 1/4 cup (30g) unsweetened Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 2 tsp (8g) baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp (1g) cinnamon
- 1 cup (240ml) hot water
- 1/4 cup (60ml) vegetable oil
- 1 tsp (5g) vanilla extract
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 7 oz (200g) cream cheese
- 1/2 cup (110g) butter , room temperature
- 1/2 cup (60g) powdered sugar
- 2 tsp (10g) rum extract
- 3.5 oz (100g) semisweet chocolate , tempered
- mini chocolate rocks
- 3.5 oz (100g) milk chocolate , tempered
- 1/4 cup (25g) walnuts , toasted and chopped
- 3.5 oz (100g) white chocolate , tempered
- Freeze dried raspberries
Prepare the chocolate cake.
- Preheat the oven to 180 C (350 F). Butter the sides and bottom of a 8×8 inch baking pan.
- In a medium bowl combine the dry ingredients. Add hot water, vanilla extract and oil and mix well. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 20-25 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool completely.
Prepare the cream cheese frosting.
- Mix butter with powdered sugar until creamy. Add rum extract and mix to combine. Add the cream cheese and mix well until creamy.
Prepare the cake balls.
- Crumble the chocolate cake into a large bowl. Add the cream cheese frosting and mix well to combine.
- Take teaspoons of mixture and roll into balls. Place the balls into a parchment paper lined baking sheet and refrigerate for at least 1 hour to chill or put them in the freezer for 20 -30 minutes.
Prepare the semisweet chocolate coating.
- Melt 2.5 oz (70g) semisweet chocolate over bain-marie. Remove from heat and add 1 oz (30g) chopped semisweet chocolate for tempering. Stir until melted.
- Dip the cake balls into melted semisweet chocolate. Place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Top the coated cake balls with mini chocolate rocks.
Prepare the milk chocolate and walnut coating.
- Melt 2.5 oz (70g) milk chocolate over bain-marie. Remove from heat and add 1 oz (30g) chopped milk chocolate for tempering. Stir until melted. Add the toasted chopped walnuts and mix to combine.
- Dip the cake balls into walnut milk chocolate. Place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
Prepare the white chocolate coating.
- Melt 2.5 oz (70g) white chocolate over bain-marie. Remove from heat and add 1 oz (30g) chopped white chocolate for tempering. Stir until melted.
- Dip the cake balls into melted white chocolate. Place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Top the coated cake balls with freeze-dried raspberries.
- Refrigerate the cake balls until ready to serve. Enjoy!