These Chocolate Cake Balls are delicious and elegant, a perfect impressive treat for holidays. These little balls are coated in chocolate and have a smooth, fudgy interior.
These cake balls are made from scratch, with a mixture of chocolate cake and cream cheese frosting. First you prepare the chocolate cake and let it cool. Then prepare the cream cheese frosting. The cake is turned into crumbs, mixed together with the cream cheese frosting and spices and then the mixture is shaped into balls. Each ball is dipped into chocolate and makes a great treat not only for holidays but all year round.
Though it may seem like there are a lot of steps, each step is easy to prepare and there is no way it can turn into a fail . You can also use them as cake pops if placed on skewers, for an impressive presentation. These chocolate cake balls can also make a wonderful homemade gift idea during the holidays too. Hope you will give them a try as they are absolutely a delightful treat.
Chocolate Cake Balls
- 1 cup (200g) sugar
- 1 ½ cup (190g) flour
- 1/4 cup (30g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp (8g) baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp (1g) cinnamon
- 1 cup (240ml) water
- 1 tbsp (15ml) vinegar
- 1/4 cup (60ml) oil
- 1 tsp (5g) vanilla extract
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 7 oz (200g) cream cheese
- 1 stick (110g) butter , softened
- 1/2 cup (60g) powdered sugar
- 2 tsp (10g) rum extract
- 13 oz chocolate (360g) chocolate (white, milk and dark)
- Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F). Butter the sides and bottom of a 8×8 inch baking pan.
- In a medium bowl combine dry ingredients. Add water, vinegar, vanilla extract and oil and mix well. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 30-35 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove and let cool completely.
- Prepare the cream cheese frosting: Combine the cream cheese with butter and sugar. Mix well until creamy.
- Crumble the chocolate cake into a large bowl. Add the cream cheese frosting and rum essence and mix well to combine.
- Take teaspoons of mixture and roll into balls. Lay the balls into a baking sheet and refrigerate for several hours to chill or put them in the freezer for no more than 1 hour like I did.
- Melt few pieces of chocolate over bain-marie and roll balls in chocolate. For tempering the chocolate before using for coating read here. Lay on wax paper until firm. I used a fork to dip and roll the balls into chocolate. I used 3 types of chocolate (90 g white chocolate, 90 g milk chocolate and 180 g dark chocolate) and melt 90 g at a time. I also rolled the white ones into coconut flakes but that is optional.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve. They are absolutely divine.