I love macarons. So whenever I have 2 egg whites left, the first thing that comes in my mind is to make macarons. I had the idea of combining coconut macarons with strawberry and white chocolate ganache. So far I think these are the best French coconut macarons I have made.
I am always quite anxious to wait those 4 or 5 days to pass until the egg whites are good enough for the macarons recipe. My family loved these French coconut macarons. I also loved that I didn’t have to use any artificial colors and this is simply amazing.
Coconut Macarons with White Chocolate Strawberry Ganache
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup powdered almonds
- 2 large egg whites , at room temperature aged for 4 to 5 days in the fridge
- 5 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp coconut flakes to garnish the tops
- 1/3 cup strawberry jam
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 150 g white chocolate
- 4 tbsp coconut flakes , grounded in blender
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 340ºF (170ºC).
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and have a pastry bag with a plain tip (about 1/2-inch, 1 cm) ready.
- Grind together the powdered sugar with the almond powder ; use a blender or food processor.
- Using a mixer beat the egg whites until they begin to rise and hold their shape. While whipping, beat in the granulated sugar until very stiff and firm, about 2 minutes.
- Fold the dry ingredients, in two batches, into the beaten egg whites with a rubber spatula. When the mixture is smooth and there are no streaks of egg white, stop folding and scrape the batter into the pastry bag. (standing the bag in a tall glass helps if you’re alone).
- Pipe the batter on the parchment-lined baking sheets in 1-inch (2 cm) circles, evenly spaced one-inch (2 cm) apart.
- Rap the baking sheet a few times firmly on the counter top to flatten the macarons and sprinkle coconut flakes in top of each. Let them rest at room temperature. A skin needs to form, and it can take 30-90 minutes,depending on the weather. If you touch them lightly and the top has dried, and nothing sticks to your finger, they’re ready to bake.
- Bake them for 15-18 minutes. Let cool completely then remove from baking sheet.
- Prepare the strawberry filling. Heat the cream in a small saucepan. When it just begins to boil remove from heat and add the chopped chocolate. Let sit few minutes, then stir until smooth. Stir in the coconut flakes, jam and pieces of butter. Let cool completely before using.
- Spread a bit of strawberry filling on the inside of the macarons then sandwich them together.
- Let them stand at least one day before serving, to meld the flavors.