These Double Chocolate Rum Cookies are one of the best chocolate cookies you can prepare for Christmas and New Years Eve. With their soft and chewy texture, with bits of chocolate, rum flavored and sprinkled with flaky sea salt, it’s hard not to fall in love with them.
The rum added to these chocolate cookies brings extra flavor and makes them a perfect treat for holidays. My favorite part is the sea salt flakes which always pairs so well with chocolate as it intensifies the chocolate flavor, reduces bitterness and adds a bit of texture too.
These cookies are really easy and quick to prepare. You can consider making them in advance as the cookies can freeze really well. Hope you will give these Double Chocolate Rum Cookies a try and enjoy!
Double Chocolate Rum Cookies
- 3.5 oz (100g) semisweet chocolate (55-70% cocoa), for melting
- 1/2 cup (113g) unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup (50g) sugar
- 3/4 cup (150g) light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tbsp (15ml) rum
- 1 tsp (5ml) rum essence
- 1/2 tsp (3g) salt
- 1 cup (125g) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (30g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp (4g) baking powder
- 3.5 oz (100g) semisweet chocolate chips or chunks (55-70% cocoa)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). In a medium bowl combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Melt the butter and 3.5 oz (100g) semisweet chocolate together over low heat over bain marie. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Combine the eggs and sugar and beat at medium speed with a hand mixer until light and fluffy, about 3-5 minutes. Add the chocolate mixture and stir until well combined. Add rum and rum extract.
- Add the flour mixture and stir until just combined. Fold in the chocolate chips or chunks.
- Drop 1 tablespoon portions 2 inches (5cm) apart onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Sprinkle sea salt flakes on top of each.
- Bake for 9-10 minutes — they should be slightly underbaked so the interior stays chewy and soft.
- While cookies are still warm add on top of each some extra chocolate chips to get a beautiful look. Let the cookies cool on the baking sheets until the cookies are firm enough to remove, probably another 5-10 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack.