I am so glad to share with you this amazing lemony dessert that I simply adore. This Lemon Poppy Seed Cake with Lemon Curd and White Chocolate Cream Cheese filling is out of this word. It is so flavorful and refreshing and has a great combination of textures.
The cake consists of a lemon and poppy seed sponge cake at the bottom, with a mousse-like texture white chocolate, poppy seed and cream cheese filling and a homemade lemon curd insert and topping.
The lemon curd adds a perfect tangy balance to the chocolate filling, which makes it not too sweet, not too tangy and is simply bursting with lemon flavor. It is very light and hardly can stop at only one slice.
The lemon and poppy seed sponge cake at the bottom is very easy to prepare. It is very soft and flavorful and uses butter, vegetable oil and buttermilk for extra moisture. Really love the texture the poppy seeds bring to the cake as well, so please don’t consider leaving them out.
If you want a no-bake version of this cake, simply substitute the sponge cake with a cookie crust. Process the cookies with some poppy seeds, lemon zest and butter for an amazing no-bake lemon and poppy seed crust.
As for the lemon curd which is the star of this cake, I hardly recommend preparing your own lemon curd instead of using the store-bought one. It is very easy to prepare and takes no more than 10 minutes to cook it over bain-marie and have it ready for later. For this lemon curd I have used the whole eggs, so in this way you don’t have to separate the eggs or bother what to do with your whites.
Each step of the cake is very easy and quick. Hope you will give it a try and enjoy as we sure did.
Lemon Poppy Seed Cake with Lemon Curd and White Chocolate
Lemon Poppy Seed Cake
- 2/3 cup (80g) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp (1g) salt
- 1 tsp (3g) baking powder
- 1 tbsp (10g) poppy seeds
- 1/3 cup (70g) sugar
- lemon zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp (30g) butter , softened
- 2 tbsp (30g) vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1/4 tsp (1g) vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp (30g) buttermilk
White Chocolate Cream Cheese Filling
- 5.5 oz (150g) white chocolate , small pieces
- 3 tbsp (45g) whipping cream
- 1 tsp (3g) gelatin powder
- 1 tbsp (15ml) cold water
- 13 oz (370g) cream cheese , room temperature
- 2 tbsp (16g) powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp (3g) vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp (10g) poppy seeds
- 2/3 cup (160g) whipping cream (35% fat) , chilled
- 2 whole eggs
- 1/2 cup (100g) sugar
- 1 tbsp (10g) lemon zest from 2 lemons
- 1/3 cup (80ml) fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp (30g) unsalted butter , cut into small pieces
- poppy seeds
- white chocolate curls
Prepare the poppy seed lemon cake.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease with butter a 8 inch (20cm) pan and line with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl whisk flour with salt, baking powder and poppy seeds and set aside until ready to use.
- In a large bowl whisk sugar with lemon zest to release oil. Add butter and vegetable oil and mix until combined. Incorporate the egg. Mix in vanilla extract and buttermilk.
- Gradually add flour mixture. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Let cool completely before transferring to a serving platter.
Prepare the lemon curd.
- In a heatproof bowl, add eggs and sugar and whisk to combine.
- Add lemon zest, and lemon juice and whisk to combine.
- Place the bowl over a pan with simmering water and cook over medium heat, whisking constantly for about 8-10 minutes, until thickens.
- Remove from heat and gradually add butter and whisk until melted and smooth.
- Let it cool and refrigerate until ready to use.
Prepare the white chocolate cream cheese filling.
- Dissolve gelatin in cold water and let it swell for about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place white chocolate and the 3 tbsp of cream into a heatproof bowl and place over a pan with simmering water. Melt over low heat.
- Add bloomed gelatin to melted chocolate and stir until dissolved. Let cool slightly.
- In a large bowl mix cream cheese until smooth. Add powdered sugar, poppy seeds and vanilla extract and mix to combine.
- Add cream and continue mixing until soft peaks form. Mix in melted chocolate.
Assemble the cake.
- Spread 1/3 of the filling over the lemon and poppy seed cake. Add spoons of lemon curd over the surface. Use a skewer, toothpick or knife to create swirls. Gently spread another ⅓ of cream cheese filling. Add spoons of lemon curd and create swirls. Finally spread the remaining cream cheese filling and smooth the top using an offset spatula.
- Top the cake with the remaining lemon curd.
- Cover and refrigerate the cake for at least 4-6 hours or better overnight.
- Before serving, decorate the cake with large chocolate curls and lemon peel swirls. Enjoy!