I have been requested for an eggless cake for quite some time now, and I am finally sharing with you this Eggless Fruit Cake, my favorite way of making an eggless cake – a soft and moist vanilla sponge cake, filled with fruits and topped with a crumble topping. One of the best ways to enjoy the abundance of summer fruits.
I have used cherries and peaches this time, but feel free to use different fruits, from all kinds of berries to apricots, plums or nectarines and have a different dessert each time. Me and my family really loved this Eggless Fruit Cake, an easy summer dessert, hope you will try it out too. Enjoy!
Eggless Fruit Cake
- 2 cups (250g) all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp (8g) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (3g) salt
- 1/2 tsp (3g) baking soda
- 1/2 cup (110g) vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup (150g) sugar
- 1 cup (240g) Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup (120ml) buttermilk
- 1 tsp (5ml) vanilla extract
- 1 tsp (5ml) white vinegar
- 14 oz (400g) summer fruit mix (I used cherries and peaches) , cut in small pieces
- 1 tbsp (10g) flour
- 3 tbsp (45g) sugar
- 1/4 cup (30g) all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ tbsp (20g) vegetable oil
- Preheat the oven to 350F (180C). Grease a 8 inch (20cm) pan and line with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl whisk together flour with baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a large bowl mix oil with sugar until combined. Add yogurt, buttermilk, vanilla extract and vinegar. Mix to combine.
- Gradually mix in flour mixture. Don’t overmix.
- In a bowl toss the fruits with 1 tablespoon flour. Using a spatula, gently fold the fruits into the batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Prepare crumb topping: In a medium bowl combine sugar with flour and oil.
- Spread the crumbs on top of the cake.
- Bake for about 50-60 minutes until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool the cake on a wire rack.
- Dust with powdered sugar before serving. Enjoy!