Get ready to impress your guests with a showstopping Passion Fruit Cake Roll filled with silky smooth vanilla pastry cream and tangy passion fruit curd. This cake roll is a perfect addition to your spring or Easter celebrations, with its bright and refreshing flavors that evoke the feeling of warmer weather.
The light and fluffy sponge cake is rolled with a generous layer of vanilla pastry cream that is delicately balanced with the tropical tanginess of passion fruit puree. The combination of these flavors is simply divine.
How to prepare Passion Fruit Cake Roll
For this cake roll start by making the passion fruit curd, then prepare the vanilla pastry cream and sponge cake.
Prepare the passion fruit curd.
In a bowl, over a bain-marie, whisk together the passion fruit pulp, the sugar, and the egg. Let it over the bain-marie until it thickens, for about 15-20 minutes, whisking from time to time. In another bowl cut the butter into chunks. After the passion fruit mixture is done, strain it over the butter. With a hand blender, mix the emulsion until soft and creamy. Cover it with plastic film and let it cool at room temperature.
Prepare the vanilla pastry cream filling.
Scrape the seeds of a vanilla pod and put them in a pot. Pour the milk over them and bring to a simmer. In another bowl, mix together the egg, the sugar, and the flour, until pale and creamy. When the milk starts to simmer, strain it over the egg mixture. Whisk for 1 minute, then put the mixture back in the pot, over medium heat. Keep stirring until it thickens. When it starts to bubble, it means the pastry cream is done. Cover it with plastic film. Set aside.
After the pastry cream cooled down, bloom the gelatin powder in cold water for 5-10 minutes. Dissolve over low heat and pour over the pastry cream. Mix to combine.
Whip the cream until stiff peaks form and gently fold into the pastry cream mixture.
Prepare the sponge cake.
In a large bowl beat the eggs with the sugar and the yellow food coloring, until you get a thick and fluffy mixture and it triples in volume, for about 10 minutes. It’s ready when you can make a ribbon with the batter and it stays like that for a few seconds. Then you can gently fold in the flour and the baking powder. Pour the batter into a 16×12 inch (40×30 cm) baking tray and bake at 350F (180C) for 11-13 minutes. Remove it from the oven and let it cool in the pan for a few seconds. Gently roll the cake up on the parchment paper, while it’s still hot. Let it sit like this while it cools down.
Assemble the passion fruit cake roll
Carefully unroll the cooled cake and evenly spread the passion fruit curd over the entire cake,. Spread the vanilla pastry cream, but make sure to leave out one-third of the filling for decoration, later on. Sprinkle the ground pistachios over the cream. Roll the cake up and refrigerate for at least 3 hours or overnight.
Remove the cake from the fridge and place it on a serving tray. Pipe the remaining cream on top of the cake roll. Decorate as desired, with festive sprinkles, chocolate candies, meringue kisses or you can add fresh fruits as well.
Whether you’re entertaining guests or simply treating yourself, this Passion Fruit Cake Roll is a must-try. It’s a dessert that captures the essence of spring and will leave you wanting more. Hope you will try this refreshing Passion Fruit Cake Roll. Make sure to tag me on Instagram if you try it out, as I love seeing how it turns how for you. Enjoy!
Other cake rolls you may like to try
This Tiramisu Cake Roll is a delicious twist on the classic Italian dessert. It features a light and airy sponge cake, soaked with an espresso and Marsala wine mixture and filled with a creamy mixture of mascarpone and coffee frosting. Another roll we recommend that is perfect for spring and summer days is this Chocolate Strawberry Swiss Roll. It is a decadent dessert that combines the rich flavors of chocolate with the sweetness of fresh strawberries. The cake is baked with a flower pattern and looks quite impressive. This Strawberry Swiss Roll is a delightful dessert that is perfect for any occasion. This light and fluffy sponge cake is filled with a sweet and tangy strawberry jam filling and a cream cheese frosting. The cake is then rolled up and finished with a dusting of powdered sugar for an elegant touch.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
Chocolate Mocha Hurricane Swiss Roll
Chocolate Swiss Roll
15 Cake Roll Recipes
Passion Fruit Cake Roll
Yellow Sponge Cake
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup (100g) sugar
- 3/4 cup (100g) flour
- 1 tsp (4g) baking powder
- yellow food coloring ,(about 4 drops)
Vanilla Pastry Cream
- 2/3 cup (160ml) milk
- 1 vanilla pod
- 1/4 cup (50g) sugar
- 3 tbsp (25g) flour
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp (3g) gelatin powder
- 1 tbsp (15ml) water
- 1/3 cup + 1 tbsp (95ml) whipping cream , chilled
Passion Fruit Curd
- 3 tbsp (45g) passion fruit pulp
- 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp (60g) sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup (75g) butter
- 2 tbsp (30g) ground pistachios
For Decoration, optional
- remaining vanilla cream
- meringue kisses
- chocolate candies
Prepare the passion fruit curd.
- In a large bowl, over a bain-marie, whisk together the passion fruit pulp, the egg and the sugar.
- Keep stirring from time to time until it thickens. For about 15-20 minutes.
- In a large bowl cut butter into chunks.
- When the passion fruit mixture is done, sieve it over the butter.
- Use a hand blender to mix until soft and creamy.
- Cover it with plastic film and let it cool at room temperature.
Prepare the vanilla pastry cream.
- In a pot, put the milk, the vanilla seeds and the vanilla pod. Bring to a simmer.
- In a large bowl, mix together the egg, the sugar and the flour, until light and creamy.
- When the milk starts to boil, remove it from the stove and sieve it over the egg mixture.
- Mix for 1 minute, then put it back on the stove, over medium heat. Keep mixing until it thickens. When it starts to boil, remove it from the stove.
- Cover it with plastic film and let it cool.
- Bloom the gelatin in cold water for 5-10 minutes.
- Dissolve the gelatin over low heat and pour over the pastry cream. Mix to combine.
- In a bowl whip the whipping cream until stiff peaks form.
- Fold the whipped cream into the pastry cream mixture. Set aside until ready to use.
Prepare the yellow sponge cake.
- Preheat the oven to 350F (180C). Grease and line a 16×12 inch (40x30cm) baking tray with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl beat together the eggs, the sugar, and the food coloring until thick and pale and triples in volume, for about 10 minutes.
- Gently fold in the flour and the baking powder.
- Pour the batter into the prepared tray and bake for 11-13 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven, and let cool slightly.
- While the cake is still hot, gently roll it up in the parchment paper and let it sit like this until it cools down.
Assemble the cake roll.
- Carefully unroll the cooled cake and evenly spread the passion fruit curd over the entire cake.
- Spread the vanilla pastry cream over the curd. Make sure to leave out one-third of the filling for decoration.
- Sprinkle the ground pistachios over the cream.
- Roll the cake up and place it in the fridge for at least 3 hours.
- Remove from the fridge and place the roll on a serving plate.
- Pipe the remaining cream filling over the cake roll.
- Decorate it with chocolate candies, sprinkles, meringue kisses, or fresh fruits. Enjoy!
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and tag @homecookingadventure on Instagram and hashtag it #homecookingadventure.