- Vegetable Egg Rolls - Fried or Baked
- Chocolate Terrine with Chocolate Covered Strawberries
- Red Velvet Cheesecake Brownies with Chocolate Lace Cups
- Basque Burnt Cheesecake
- Chocolate Mocha Fault Line Cake with Chocolate Sail
- Crispy Onion Rings
- Croque en Bouche or Croquembouche
- Spinach and Shiitake Mushroom Stuffing
Carrot Cake Roll
Watch the video for this recipe:
As we will celebrate Easter soon, here is an easy recipe you can try for this holiday. This is a great way to enjoy the carrot cake without having to do a lot of decorating as to a regular cake. Being in form of a roll the only thing you have to do is to sprinkle some powdered sugar on top and is done.
Love the idea of this carrot cake roll as the recipe doesn't need to use so much oil as a regular cake. If in a carrot cake you use about 1 cup of oil in this roll we used only 2 tablespoons. This save almost 200 calories per serving which is great.
I used the recipe I've made for Pumpkin Roll with slightly few changes. The final result is wonderful. The Mascarpone cheese filling in combination with carrot cake is just awesome. Everybody loved this cake, even my little daughters who asked for a second slice - this doesn't happen too often.
Hope you will try this recipe and don't forget to let me know how it turned for you.
- Makes about 10 servings
- 3 eggs
- 2/3 cup (135g) sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 cups grated carrots (about 2 medium carrots)
- 3/4 cup (100g) flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 cup (240 ml) heavy cream
- 8-ounce (250g) Mascarpone cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup (60g) powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup (30g) powdered sugar for the towel and topping
- Preheat the oven to 350F (180C). Butter a 12 X16 inch (30 x 40 cm) baking tray and line it with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl add eggs ,sugar, salt and vanilla extract. Beat with an electric mixer until lemon yellow and foamy. Add oil and mix until well incorporated. Add carrot and lemon juice. Fold until well combined.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg over the bowl. Gently fold the flour in. Carrots may be different each time, either with more juice or dry. For this cake it is preferably to be more dry, but if they are too juicy you may need to add gradually another 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup flour in the mixture.
- Pour the batter into the pan and spread evenly into the corners using the back of the spatula.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Take a kitchen towel and generously sprinkle with powdered sugar. This helps the cake not stick to the towel.
- Sprinkle the top of the cake with powdered sugar.
- While still hot roll the cake up in the towel. You will have to do it while is still hot/warm either wise it cracks. Let cool completely.
- Whip the cream with an electric mixer until it forms stiff peaks. In another bowl, beat Mascarpone cheese with powdered sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla. Fold together.
- Unroll the cake and spread the filling evenly over the cake.
- Roll the cake back up. Sprinkle with more powdered sugar before serving.