Cranberry White Chocolate Meringue Roll
Watch the video for this recipe:
This Cranberry White Chocolate Meringue Roll is a delicate and festive dessert perfect for celebrating winter holidays. Consisting of a light and airy meringue, filled with a white chocolate filling and freshly made cranberry and orange jam, this roll is extremely delightful and flavorful. The tart jam is balancing in such a great way the sweetness of the meringue and of white chocolate, that you can hardly stop to one slice.
The recipe is easy, using basic ingredients, leaves you enough room to adapt it according to your own taste. If you don't have cranberries feel free to use any other berries you have on hand, if you don't like orange flavor feel free to leave it out, you can leave it as is or decorate it to look more festive, these are all up to you. What is sure is that this dessert will surely impress and delight your family and guests. Enjoy!
- Makes about 6-8 servings
- Cranberry Orange Jam
- 9 oz (250g) cranberries, fresh or frozen
- 1/4 cup (50g) sugar
- 1 tbsp (15ml) orange juice
- Zest from an orange
- For Meringue
- 4 egg whites (about 130g), room temperature
- 1/4 tsp (1g) salt
- 1 tsp (4g) cornflour
- 1 tsp (5ml) vinegar or lemon juice
- 1 tsp (5ml) vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup (150g) caster sugar
- 1/3 cup (30g) sliced almonds
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- White Chocolate Filling
- 5.5 oz (150g) white chocolate
- 3 tbsp (45g) whipping cream
- 3/4 cup (180g) whipping cream, chilled
- For decoration
- Whipped cream
- White chocolate curls
- Gold edible powder
- Fresh rosemary
- First prepare cranberry orange jam so it has time to cool down. Place cranberries, suga and orange juice into a saucepan and bring to a boil while stirring constantly. Simmer for about 10 minutes or until thickens. Add orange zest, stir to combine and remove from heat. Set aside to cool until ready to use.
- Prepare the meringue. Preheat the oven to 375F (190C). Grease and line a 9x13 (23x33cm) pan with parchment paper. Set aside until ready to use.
- In a large bowl add whites and salt and start whipping until foamy. Add vinegar, vanilla extract and cornstarch.
- Gradually add sugar and continue whipping until stiff peaks form for about 5 minutes more.
- Spread meringue evenly into the prepared pan.
- Sprinkle almond slices on top.
- Bake for 10 minutes, reduce the oven temperature to 320 (160C) and bake for about 15 minutes more until slightly brown.
- Let cool slightly on the pan for 5 minutes.
- Dust with powdered sugar. Flip onto parchment paper. Remove lining parchment.
- Let cool completely.
- Meanwhile, prepare white chocolate filling. Melt chocolate and the 3 tablespoons of cream over bain marie. Let cool to room temperature.
- In another bowl whip cream until stiff peaks form. Gradually fold melted chocolate into the whipped cream. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Spread the cranberry jam over the meringue. Spread white chocolate filling on top. Leave about a ½ inch (1cm) border around the edge of the meringue.
- Gently roll the meringue into a log.
- Refrigerate for about 2 hours before serving.
- Before serving dust the roll with powdered sugar.
- Pipe some whipped cream on top. You can decorate with white chocolate curls, fresh rosemary and dust with gold edible powder if desired. Enjoy!