Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Goat Cheese and Candied Bacon
Watch the video for this recipe:
If you are not a fan of the usual sweet potato and marshmallow casserole for Thanksgiving or if you just want to change things up, try slicing your sweet potatoes into rounds and roasting them in the oven for a simple, yet elegant side dish.
This savory- sweet take on sweet potatoes brings out the best in them. The sweet potatoes turn out creamy and soft on the inside and are infused with wonderful earthy and smoky aromas.
Get creative on choosing your toppings: this recipe uses soft tangy goat cheese, chopped pecans, fresh herbs and to take it one step further sprinkle delicious candied bacon to the dish.
- Makes about 4 servings
- For roasted potatoes
- 3 medium sweet potatoes (about 800-900g), peeled
- 1 tsp (3g) sweet paprika
- 1/2 tsp (2g) cumin
- 3 tbsp (40g) olive oil
- Salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- For candied bacon
- 4,5 slices of bacon
- 2 tbsp (30g) light brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp (1g) cinnamon
- freshly ground black pepper
- For serving
- 2 tbsp (20g) chopped pecans
- 1 tbsp fresh herbs ( such as parsley, cilantro, thyme)
- 2 1/2 oz (75g) goat cheese
- candied bacon
- Prepare candied bacon. Preheat the oven to 350 F (180C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place a wire rack on top of it. Mix the brown sugar with cinnamon and spread evenly on both sides of bacon, sprinkle with fresh ground pepper and place on the wire rack.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes or until bacon is caramelized. Bacon will crisp up as it cools. Chop it up into small bits.
- Prepare roasted potatoes. Preheat the oven to 425F (220C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Slice potatoes into 1/3 inches (1 cm) thick rounds.
- In a large bowl combine sliced sweet potatoes with oil, salt, pepper, cumin and paprika.
- Spread the sweet potatoes on the sheet pan in a single layer without overcrowding them and bake for 30-40 minutes until beautifully browned. Flip the potato slices halfway through baking.
- For serving. Arrange potatoes on a platter and sprinkle with goat cheese, candied bacon bits and pecans. Finish with herbs. Serve warm.