These soft meringue cookies are classic macaroons turned into sweet cookies with crisp exterior and soft nutty chocolate interior. They literally melt in your mouth and are perfect for holiday tables.
The recipe for these soft meringue cookies is really easy and quick to prepare. These cookies are also gluten-free and a great choice for those who are gluten intolerant.
You can serve these cookies during the day as a snack or simply for breakfast alongside a cup of coffee. They also make a great gift idea during the holidays.
Soft Meringue Cookies
- 4 egg whites
- 2 1/2 cups (300g) powdered sugar
- 1 tsp (5g) vanilla extract
- 12 tbsp dried coconut flakes
- 12 tbsp ground walnuts or almonds
- 2 oz (50g) chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 300 F (150 C). Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whip egg whites until foamy with a mixer and gradually add the sugar and vanilla extract whipping the whole time. The meringue is done when it is not runny and when you can hold the bowl upside down and none of it drops off.
- Using a metal spoon, lightly fold in the coconut flakes, ground walnuts and chocolate chips. Spoon onto the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake the meringue cookies for about 15 minutes or until they get a pale coffee color. Remove them gently from the baking sheet and let them cool completely before storing.