Main Dish RecipesDessert RecipesBreakfast RecipesAppetizer RecipesBread RecipesSoup RecipesSalad RecipesDrink RecipesHealthy RecipesThanksgiving RecipesChristmas Recipes
Caramelized Onion Bread
Posted on May 26, 2011
Soft fluffy bread, the aroma of the onions makes you want more and more. It was gone so fast that next time I will consider making 2 loafs instead of 1.
20 mins +1 hr rise
1 hr 50 mins
- Makes 1 loaf
- Caramelized Onion
- 1 large onion, chopped or thinly sliced
- 1 bunch green onion bulbs, chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 25 g fresh yeast
- 1 bunch green onion leaves, finely chopped
- 250-300 ml warm water
- In a frying pan heat oil over medium high heat. Cook onion for about 5 minutes until soft. Reduce heat to medium-low and continue cooking until golden brown. Season with salt. Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, mix flour with salt. Dissolve the fresh yeast in water and add to the flour mixture. Mix everything together then add caramelized onion and green onion leaves and knead until the dough is smooth and pulls away from the side of the bowl. Cover it and let it sit for about 1 hour at room temperature, to let the dough rise until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 240C (470F) 30 minutes before baking. Spoon 1 tablespoon flour into a small baking tray, put the dough in the tray and let sit until the oven is hot. Optional sprinkle salt and few green onion chopped leaves on top.
- Put an empty baking pot in the oven ten minutes before baking. As you put the baking tray in the oven, add a cup of hot water in the empty pot, in this way it will instantly boil and create steam. Bake for about 25-30 minutes. Remove the bread from the baking tray and cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition facts 1 Bread - Calories:2214, Fat:33.4 g, Saturated Fat:4.8 g, Carbohydrates:410.0 g, Sugar:8.8 g, Fiber:23.7 g, Protein:64.6 g, Cholesterol:0 mg, Calories from Fat 300, Sodium 1217 mg, Vitamin A 24%, Calcium 21%, Vitamin C 51%, Iron 164%, Nutrition Grade B+, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.