With Easter fast approaching, I’ve wanted to share with you this delicate flavorful cake that will surely impress your family and guests. This amazing Banana Caramel Chocolate Mousse Cake is made of a chocolate banana sponge cake at the bottom topped with a delightful salted caramel, banana and toasted pecans layer and followed by a smooth caramelized chocolate mousse. The cake is decorated with an amazing edible flower made with whipped cream and caramelized chocolate curls.
I am so excited about how this cake turned out. I think it is one of the most flavorful cakes I have ever made. You can never go wrong combining bananas with chocolate, caramel, toasted pecans and coffee. The salted caramel layer with bits of bananas and crunchy toasted pecans is the star of the cake. I really love its flavor and texture. With its play of textures and flavors, this cake truly is an amazing symphony for your taste buds.
The cake is really easy to prepare. You can prepare each step really quickly, in a matter of minutes. I highly recommend not skipping the caramel, banana and pecan layer, it really gives an amazing texture.
If you like banana desserts you may also like this amazing Chocolate Banana Bread, Eggless Chocolate Banana Bread or Banana Coconut Bread. You may also like these Nutella Banana Hand Pies, the amazing Banoffee Pie, Breakfast Muffins or Oatmeal Banana Chocolate Breakfast Cookies. If you are in a hurry try this 1 Minute Banana Bread Mug Cake.
Hope you will try this Banana Caramel Cake and enjoy it as much as we did!
Banana Caramel Chocolate Mousse Cake
Banana Chocolate Sponge Cake
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp (30g) sugar
- 2 tbsp (30g) dark brown sugar
- 3 tbsp (42g) vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup (30g) cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup (30g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp (2g) baking powder
- 1/4 tsp (1g) baking soda
- 1/4 tsp (1g) salt
- 1 tsp (5g) vanilla extract
- 1 ripe banana (80g) , mashed
Pecan Banana Caramel Filling
- 1/2 cup (100g) sugar
- 1 tbsp (15ml) water
- 2/3 cup (70g) pecans , toasted, cut into smaller pieces
- 2 tbsp (30g) whipping cream
- 1 tbsp (15g) butter
- 1 large banana (130g) ,cut into slices
- 1/2 tsp (3g) salt
Caramelized Chocolate Mousse
- 8 oz (230g) caramelized chocolate ,cut in small pieces
- 2/3 cup (160g) whipping cream
- 1 ½ cup (360g) whipping cream (35% fat) , chilled
- 2 tsp (8g) gelatin powder
- 3 tbsp (45ml) cold water
- 7 oz (200ml) whipping cream chilled
- 1/2 tsp (1g) instant coffee powder
- Banana chips
- Mini chocolate rocks
- Caramelized chocolate curls
Prepare the Banana Chocolate Sponge Cake.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease with butter a 8 inch (20cm) pan and line with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In another bowl mash banana with a fork and set aside.
- In a large bowl add egg, both sugars, vanilla extract and vegetable oil. Mix until well combined. Add mashed banana and mix to combine.
- With the mixer on low, incorporate the flour mixture.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean. Let cool completely and transfer to a serving plate.
Prepare the Pecan Banana Caramel Filling.
- Low the oven temperature to 300°F (150°C).
- Place the pecans into a parchment paper lined baking sheet and let them toast for 15 minutes. When cool, cut the pecans in smaller pieces.
- Cut a large banana into thick slices.
- Place the sugar and water in a medium heavy bottomed saucepan over medium-high heat, and cook without stirring until sugar dissolves and gets a dark caramel color.
- Add the cream. It will bubble a little bit.
- Add the banana slices, butter and salt and let cook for about 1 minute stirring constantly with a wooden spoon or spatula.
- Spread the pecan banana caramel filling over the chocolate banana sponge cake and refrigerate until you prepare the chocolate mousse.
Prepare the caramelized chocolate mousse.
- In a heatproof bowl add the caramelized chocolate and 2/3 cup (160g) whipping cream. Place the bowl over a saucepan with simmering water, over low heat, until all the chocolate is melted.
- Meanwhile dissolve gelatin in cold water and let it swell for about 5 to 10 minutes. Dissolve gelatin over low heat, pour over the melted chocolate and stir to combine. Let the chocolate mixture cool completely at room temperature.
- Whip the remaining 1 1/2 cup (360g) chilled whipping cream until soft peaks form. Add melted chocolate mixture and mix until well combined.
Assemble the cake.
- Place a cake ring around the cake and line with an acetate sheet.
- Pour the mousse on sides and top. Smooth the top using an offset spatula.
- Cover and refrigerate for 4-6 hour or overnight.
Decorate the cake.
- Whip cream with instant coffee powder until stiff peaks form. Transfer to a piping bag fitted with a St Honore Tip.
- Starting from the center of the cake pipe a flower.
- Sprinkle mini chocolate rocks and crushed banana chips. Finish the decorations with some caramelized chocolate curls. Enjoy!