Plum Upside Down Cake is a perfect fall dessert that can be enjoyed with family and friends. The caramelized plums on top give it a beautiful color and a sweet, fruity taste that compliments the cinnamon and lemon flavored buttery cake perfectly. This recipe is easy and quick to prepare, and the results are always satisfying.
The recipe is versatile, so you can use any type of plums, peaches, nectarines, apples or pears that you have on hand. Blood plums are a popular choice for their bright red color, but any plum variety will do. If you enjoy nutty desserts, consider adding some walnuts to the cake batter for an extra crunch.
How to make plum upside down cake
To prepare this cake, first, make the caramel by cooking sugar and water in a medium heavy bottomed saucepan over medium-high heat, until caramelized. Then add the butter and pour into an 8 inch (20cm) pan. Arrange the plum wedges in the caramel and set aside.
Prepare the batter by whisking flour with baking powder, cinnamon and salt in a medium bowl. Mix sugar and lemon zest with butter, eggs, sour cream and vanilla extract in a large mixing bowl. Gradually incorporate the flour mixture with the mixer on low and pour over the plum wedges on the pan. Bake for 40-50 minutes, and then invert onto a serving platter.
Serve the cake warm with a scoop of ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream for an indulgent treat. It’s perfect for a family gathering or a dinner party, and is sure to impress your guests. Don’t hesitate to give this recipe a try and let us know how you like it. If you do, make sure to tag me on Instagram as I love seeing how it turns out for you. Enjoy!
Other upside down cake recipes you may like to try
This Apple Upside Down Cake is one of my family favorite fall recipes, it is easy to prepare and I always make it during the apple season. This Pecan Upside Down Cake is an easy and delightful fall dessert, perfect for Thanksgiving dinner table. The cake consists of a soft cake at the bottom topped with a crunchy layer of caramelized pecans. Serve this cake with vanilla ice cream for an unforgettable and decadent experience. This Stovetop Chocolate Cherry Upside Down Cake is an amazing summer dessert you can put together really quick without turning on the oven. It takes less than 30 minutes to bake on the stovetop and the result is unbelievable. This moist, chocolatey cake bursting with cherries on top is simply hard to resist. The best way to serve it is while still a bit warm with a good dollop of ice cream on top and melted chocolate drizzle.
Plum Upside Down Cake
For Caramelized Plums
- 1 pound (500g) medium firm plums , pitted and cut into 1/2inch (1cm) thick wedges
- 1/2 cup (100g) sugar
- 2 tbsp (30ml) water
- 3 tbsp (45g) butter
- 1/3 cup (75g) butter , room temperature
- 1/3 cup (70g) sugar
- Lemon zest of a lemon
- 3 eggs
- 3 tbsp (45g) sour cream
- 1 tsp (5g) vanilla extract
- 2 tsp (8g) baking powder
- 1 1/4 cup (160g) flour
- 1/4 tsp (1g) salt
- 1 tsp (3g) ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
Prepare the caramel.
- Place the sugar and water in a medium heavy bottomed saucepan over medium-high heat, and cook without stirring until sugar dissolves and gets a caramel color.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the butter. Pour the caramel into a 8 inch (20cm) pan. If you use a springform pan place the pan over a tray in case some caramel leaks out.
- Arrange the plum wedges in the caramel and set aside until you prepare the batter.
Prepare the cake batter.
- In a medium bowl whisk the flour with baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Set aside until ready to use.
- In a large mixing bowl rub sugar and lemon zest together to release oil. Add butter and mix until creamy. Incorporate eggs one at a time. Add sour cream and vanilla extract and mix to combine.
- With the mixer on low gradually incorporate the flour mixture.
- Pour batter over the plum wedges on the pan.
- Bake for about 40-50 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let cool for 10 minutes, and then invert onto a serving platter.
- Serve as is or with a good dollop of ice cream or cream on top.