- Oatmeal Lace Cookie Cups with Whipped Chocolate Ganache and Strawberry Jam
- Vegetable Egg Rolls - Fried or Baked
- Chocolate Terrine with Chocolate Covered Strawberries
- Red Velvet Cheesecake Brownies with Chocolate Lace Cups
- Basque Burnt Cheesecake
- Chocolate Mocha Fault Line Cake with Chocolate Sail
- Crispy Onion Rings
- Croque en Bouche or Croquembouche
Magic Custard Cake
Watch the video for this recipe:
This magic custard cake is a delicious cake that reminds me a lot of childhood. My mother used to make this pretty often, especially during the summer. It was a pleasant experience to recreate this dessert after such a long time.
This Magic Custard Cake which we also used to call it “smart cake”, is really easy to prepare and while baking it forms into three layers. A spongy one on top, a custard one in the middle and a dense layer at the bottom. The add of lemon zest really makes this cake quite delicate and can be an impressive and elegant dessert for any occasion.
Variations can be made to this simple cake, you can make it with chocolate, with citrus fruits, berries or other favorite fruits. At the beginning of my blog, I've shared this magic custard cake made with cherries and called it Cherry Summer Dessert, which is simply great for cherry season. Check it out and try the version you like best.
- Makes 9 servings
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup (113g) butter, at room temperature
- 2/3 cup (135g) sugar
- 2 tsp (10g) vanilla extract
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 1 cup (125g) all-purpose flour
- 2 cups (500 ml) milk
- For Serving
- Sweetened whipped cream
- Lemon slices
- Preheat oven to 300F (150C). Grease and line a 8x8 inch (20x20cm) pan with parchment paper.
- Separate egg whites from yolks. Mix egg yolks with sugar, butter vanilla extract and lemon zest until smooth. Add flour and mix until well blended. Add milk and continue mixing on low speed until homogenous.
- In another bowl whip the whites until stiff peaks form. Gently fold the whites into the milk and yolks mixture.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and bake for 80-90 minutes until lightly golden. Let it cool completely in the pan and refrigerate to set for a couple of hours.
- Trim the edges and cut the cake into bars. Top the bars with whipped cream and lemon slices if desired or simply dust with powdered sugar. Enjoy!