These Strawberry Lemon Thumbprint Cookies are a delicious twist on the classic thumbprint cookie recipe. A quick and simple citrusy flavor crinkle-like cookie topped with sweet homemade strawberry jam and lemon sugar glaze. With their bright colors and refreshing flavors, these cookies are perfect for spring and summer occasions. The lemon cookies pair perfectly with the sweetness of the strawberry jam. The combination of textures in these cookies is truly addictive, with a rich base and a burst of flavor in every bite. These cookies are easy to make and perfect for sharing with friends and family.
How to prepare Strawberry Lemon Thumbprint Cookies
First, prepare the lemon cookie batter. For this, you start by mixing the egg with the sugar, until pale and creamy. Melt the two oils and add them to the egg mixture. Add in the lemon zest, vanilla, and food coloring if used. In the end, add all the dry ingredients and keep mixing until the dough forms a ball. Wrap it in cling film and refrigerate it for at least 2 hours or overnight.
For the strawberry jam, you can either use fresh or frozen strawberries. In a medium saucepan, bring to a boil the strawberries and sugar and let it boil for 5-8 minutes. Mix the cornstarch with the cold water and add it to the hot jam. At this point, you can add the Tonka powder if used. Keep stirring over low heat for one more minute. Let cool completely.
After the dough is chilled, use an ice cream scoop to take equal portions of dough, and roll into about 1-inch (2.5 cm) balls. Place them evenly spaced out onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Use your thumb or ½ tsp to make an indentation into the center of each cookie. Bake at 350F (180C) for about 10 minutes. While still warm to the touch, using a spoon, put the strawberry jam right into the middle of each cookie.
For the glaze, simply mix the sugar with lemon juice.
Fill the cookies with the strawberry jam and drizzle with the lemon sugar glaze.
You are going to love these cookies and they are just the right choice for a picnic or a kid’s party! Hope you will try these refreshing Strawberry Lemon Thumbprint Cookies. Tag me on Instagram if you do and enjoy!
Other thumbprint cookies you may like to try
If you like thumbprint cookies you may also like to try these chocolatey Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies filled with chocolate ganache and decorated with freeze-dried raspberries. If you like chocolate and peanut butter combination you must try these Peanut Butter Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies. The peanut butter and chocolate flavor combination is divine. The peanut butter is not overwhelming but it does bring its unique taste to these delicious cookies.
Other Strawberry Lemon Desserts you may like to try
If you like strawberry and lemon combination then you must try this refreshing Strawberry Lemon Layer Cake. The cake consists of four thin layers of vanilla lemon sponge cake filled with a generous amount of freshly made strawberry jam and with Mascarpone lemon frosting. These Eggless Strawberry Rolls with Cream Cheese Lemon Icing are very easy to make and are always a crowd-pleaser. Try these impressive Strawberry Lemon Cupcakes for individual mini desserts perfect for various special occasions. If you are searching for a no-bake dessert try this refreshing No-bake Berry Lemon Yogurt Mousse Cake. The cake consists of a crispy cookie lemon crust, topped with a lemon yogurt mousse, a berry jelly, followed with a berry yogurt mousse and decorated with fresh berries.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
Lemon Meringue Tart
Poppy Seed Cake with Lemon Curd and White Chocolate
Poppy Seed Lemon Pound Cake
Strawberry Lemon Thumbprint Cookies
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup (100g) sugar
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp (20ml) vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp (20ml) coconut oil , melted
- 1 ½ cup (190g) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp (4g) baking powder
- 1/4 tsp (1g) salt
- lemon zest from 2 organic lemons
- 1 tsp (5ml) vanilla extract
- yellow food coloring , optional
- 5 oz (150g) strawberries , fresh or frozen
- 1/4 cup (50g) sugar
- 1/2 tsp (2g) tonka powder , optional
- 1 tbsp (8g) cornstarch
- 1 tsp (5ml) cold water
Lemon Sugar Glaze
- 3 tbsp (24g) powdered sugar
- 1 tsp (5ml) lemon juice
Prepare the lemon cookie dough.
- In a large bowl, using a hand mixer, mix the egg and sugar until pale.
- Add the melted oils, lemon zest, vanilla and food coloring if used, and mix until incorporated.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix until all comes together.
- Form a big ball of dough, wrap it in cling film and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
Prepare the strawberry jam.
- In a medium saucepan, bring to a boil the strawberries and sugar and let it boil for 5-8 minutes.
- Mix the cornstarch with the cold water and add it to the hot jam. At this point you can add the Tonka powder if used.
- Keep stirring over low heat for one more minute. Let cool completely.
Bake the cookies and assembling.
- Preheat the oven to 350F (180C). Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- After the dough is chilled, use an ice cream scoop to take equal portions of dough, and roll into about 1-inch (2.5 cm) balls. Place them evenly spaced out onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Use your thumb or ½ tsp to make an indentation into the center of each cookie.
- Bake for about 8-10 minutes. Let them cool before filling them with the strawberry jam.
- While still warm to the touch, using a spoon, put the strawberry jam right into the middle of each cookie.
- After the cookies are cooled, simply mix the sugar with lemon juice and drizzle all over the cookies with the lemon sugar glaze. Enjoy!
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and tag @homecookingadventure on Instagram and hashtag it #homecookingadventure.
Hi Ella, what happened with the recipe videos ?
Nothing happened 🙂 I try to post video recipes weekly. As I don’t have the time to shoot a video for all the recipes I like to share wih you, I will post the recipes first, and when I will have the chance I will make videos for them as well.
There is amount of sugar missing from the dough recipe… How much grams of sugar do we need?
Yes, really sorry about that. Fixed it. It is 1/2 cup (100g) sugar.