Cherry and Cream Cheese Crepes
Watch the video for this recipe:
I am making crepes very often for my family as my daughters are really enjoying them for breakfast or as a snack during the day. You need only few basic ingredients to prepare the batter for the crepes and the options for filling are endless.
As cherries are in season now, I’ve made an homemade cherry sauce and a vanilla flavored cream cheese filling, and they are by far one of the best crepes I have ever served.
You can serve the crepes separately or make a crepe cake, filled with the cream cheese filling and topped with delicious cherry sauce. Any way you choose to serve them will be a delight.
- Makes about 12-15 crepes
- Crepes Batter
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp (30g) sugar
- 1/4 tsp (1g) salt
- 1 tsp (5g) vanilla extract
- 1 cup (240ml) milk
- 1 3/4 cup (220g) all purpose flour
- 3 tbsp (40g) oil
- 1 cup (240ml) sparkling mineral water
- Cherry Sauce
- 25 oz (700g) fresh cherries
- 2/3 cup (135g) sugar
- 1/4 cup (60ml) water
- 2 tbsp (30ml) lemon juice
- Cream Cheese Filling
- 14 oz (400g) cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup (60g) powdered sugar
- 2 tsp (10g) vanilla extract
- Prepare cherry sauce. Pit the cherries, and place in a small sauce pan. Add sugar, water and lemon juice and bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Simmer until the mixture is thick, for about 20-30 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool completely before using. This sauce can also be made a day or two before to save time. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Prepare the crepes. In a large bowl, mix together the eggs with sugar, vanilla extract and salt. Stir in milk, add flour and mix well. Add the oil and mineral water and whisk until smooth.
- Heat a medium nonstick pan over medium heat. Sprinkle a teaspoon of vegetable oil or butter. Poor a small ladle of batter in the middle of the pan and with a circular move spread the batter to the edges of the pan.
- Cook the crepe until the bottom is light brown. Flip over and cook the other side until light brown. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Prepare the cream cheese filling. In a bowl mix the cream cheese with powdered sugar and vanilla until combined.
- Fill crepes with cream cheese filling, fold and sprinkle cherry sauce on top. Serve immediately.