Rustic galettes are the perfect choice for whenever you need a quick impressive dish either savory or sweet. Mushroom Egg Galette is a comforting dish full of flavor and color perfect for any time of the day.
Mushrooms are first sauteed with onion, garlic and thyme for extra flavor. The buttery crust is filled with gruyere cheese and topped with mushroom mixture, shaped into rustic galettes and baked until golden. Egg is added on top bringing color and flavor creating an irresistible dish for your family or guests.
Shakshuka -Eggs in Tomato Sauce
Twice Baked Potato with Egg on Top
Mushroom Egg Galette
- 1 ¼ cup (160g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp (3g) salt
- 1/2 cup (113g) unsalted butter , chilled and cut into small pieces
- 4 tbsp (60ml) ice cold water
- 1 pound (500g) mushrooms , sliced
- 2 onions , sliced
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- fresh thyme
- 3 tbsp (42ml) olive oil
- 1 tbsp (15ml) soy sauce
- 1 cup (100g) gruyere cheese , grated
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 small eggs
For brushing (optional)
- 1 egg , beaten
- Prepare the crust. In a medium bowl whisk flour with salt. Incorporate butter using a pastry blender, a fork or a pastry processor, until crumbs are formed. Add water and stir until incorporated.
- Divide the dough in 4 pieces and wrap in plastic wrap, shape into disks and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile prepare the filling. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and cook for about 5 minutes or until softened.
- Add mushrooms and cook with the onion for about 10-15 minutes stirring frequently.
- Add soy sauce, salt, pepper and thyme and cook another 3 to 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 400F (200C).
- On a lightly floured surface roll each piece of dough into a 8 inch (20cm) circle.
- Place each onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Spread cheese over each dough leaving about ½ inch (2cm) around the edge.
- Spread mushroom mixture on top of cheese.
- Fold dough over the filling. Brush with beaten egg.
- Bake for about 20 minutes until slightly golden.
- Remove from oven and make a well into the center of each galette.
- Crack 4 eggs into 4 small different bowls. If eggs are too large remove some of the whites. Add an egg on each galette and bake for 10 minutes more until eggs are cooked. Garnish with fresh thyme and freshly ground black pepper and enjoy !
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and tag @homecookingadventure on Instagram and hashtag it #homecookingadventure.
I love this recipe and the concept of an egg galette. So pretty. The possibilities are endless. Looking forward to making these.
can you recommend an already made/store bought dough that could be used in place of the one from scratch? my attempts have been unsuccessful to say the least when I try to make the dough from scratch- but I love all your recipes and I hope one day to be able to have great dough!! This recipe looks so delicious though and I really hope I can try it with a pre made dough. thanks for your help!!
Yes, you can try with a pre made dough. It should be ok.
Made this for dinner last night. Everyone in the family just loved it. the dough was so flaky and wonderful. Thank you. love the pics.
Could you make this with a scrambled egg mixture, I don’t like runny eggs.
You have to know the eggs here were not runny.. were fully cooked.. but you can also try beating the eggs first before pouring over the top… will work as well..
This is delicious! I will prepare this evening for my partner. Thank you very much
I’ve tried this recipe last night and it was great. The only thing is that the dough was crumbly. Did I do something wrong?
Just add a bit more water if necessary.
I would like to make this recipe. I see the trouble with some is the dough. Are there any pointers you could give to ensure the dough comes out correctly?
Thank you so much! Beautiful and simple recipe!