I am glad to share with you this delightful Puff Pastry Caramel Slice, a dessert with a perfect harmony of flavors and textures. This desserts features layers of flaky puff pastry that create a satisfying crunch, with a velvety caramel pastry cream filling thar offers a sweet, creamy center.
Topped with crispy puff pastry crumbs and crowned with candied pecans, each bite brings a delightful contrast of textures. A light dusting of powdered sugar adds a final touch of sweetness, tying it all together.
This Puff Pastry Caramel Slice is a true masterpiece, blending buttery pastry, rich caramel, and nutty crunch in every bite.
How to make Puff Pastry Caramel Slice
To make this dessert start by baking the puff pastry, then continue with the caramel pastry cream. When the pastry cream cools, continue with the caramel pastry cream filling and then assemble the cake. Next, you can prepare the candied pecans. It is totally optional but they bring an amazing texture and flavor. I highly recommend serving the cake with a drizzle of salted caramel sauce. While the cake sets you can prepare the salted caramel sauce.
How to prepare the puff pastry layers.
Preheat the oven to 400F (200C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Roll out the puff pastry thinly and transfer it to the prepared baking sheet. Bake for approximately 15-18 minutes or until it turns a beautiful golden hue. Allow it to cool completely.
How to prepare the caramel pastry cream.
In a medium saucepan, warm the milk until it simmers. While the milk is heating, whisk together the egg yolks with 1 tablespoon of sugar and a pinch of salt until thoroughly blended. Add the flour and cornstarch and mix until smooth. Remove the milk from heat.
In a separate saucepan, combine ½ cup (100g) sugar and 1 tablespoon of water. Heat it over medium-high heat until the sugar dissolves and transforms into a caramel color. Reduce the heat to low and gradually pour in the hot milk, stirring until the caramel is fully dissolved.
Slowly combine the caramel milk with the egg mixture, then return it to the heat. Cook, stirring constantly, until it boils and thickens. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract. Transfer the cream to a clean bowl, covering it with plastic wrap pressed directly onto the surface to prevent a skin from forming. Let it cool to room temperature.
How to prepare the caramel filling.
Dissolve the gelatin in cold water and let it soak for 5-10 minutes. Melt the gelatin over low heat, then pour it over the caramel pastry cream, mixing until well combined. In a separate bowl, whip the cream until stiff peaks form. Gently fold it into the pastry cream mixture.
Assemble the cake.
Cut an 8-inch (20cm) square from the baked puff pastry. Place it on a serving platter and encircle it with a square cake ring, lining the inside with acetate sheets. Spread the caramel filling evenly over the puff pastry, then break the remaining pastry into crumbs and scatter them on top.
Refrigerate for at least 4-6 hours, or overnight, to set.
How to prepare the candied pecans.
To make the candied pecans, melt butter and sugar in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the pecans and stir until lightly browned and aromatic. Allow them to cool, then chop.
Just before serving, decorate the cake with the chopped candied pecans. Finish with a gentle dusting of powdered sugar. Cut into slices and serve with a drizzle of salted caramel sauce.
Enjoy the delightful flavors of this decadent Caramel Slice Cake! Hope you will give it a try as I am sure everybody will be delighted. If you do, don’t forget to share the photos with me on Instagram.
Other caramel desserts you may like to try
This Apple Pecan Caramel Mousse Cake is a delightful treat bursting with flavor. At the base, there’s a soft and fragrant apple cinnamon cake. The cake is topped with, a rich salted caramel layer, generously mixed with tender apple bits and toasted pecans.
This Chocolate Salted Caramel Cake is a decadent rich cake, full of flavor and texture. Three layers of moist chocolate cakes, enriched with toasted pecans and filled with salted caramel sauce and a cream cheese caramel frosting, topped with a beautiful and impressing caramel sail.
Explore our mouthwatering Chocolate Caramel Lava Cake. Irresistibly rich, gooey, and intensely chocolatey, this dessert is a true delight for any sweet tooth.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
Lemon Custard Rose Sweet Rolls
Pastéis de Nata – Portuguese Custard Tarts
Kremšnita – Krempita – Cremeschnitte – Vanilla Custard Cake
Magic Custard Cake
Lavender Honey Custard Tart
Ding Dong Cake – Moist Chocolate Cake with Vanilla Cream Filling
Pecan Caramel Mousse Cake
Kvæfjordkake – Norwegian Verdens Beste – World’s Best Cake
Eclair Cake – Karpatka – Polish Carpathian Mountain Cream Cake
Canelés (Cannelés) de Bordeaux
Strawberry Dutch Baby Pancake
Strawberry Yogurt Clafoutis
Vanilla and Chocolate Pudding
Mini Size Creme Caramel
Vanilla Raspberry Panna Cotta
Puff Pastry Caramel Slice – Caramel Custard Cake
- 9 oz (250g) 1 package puff pastry
Caramel Pastry Cream
- 2 cups (480ml) milk
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 tbsp (15g) sugar
- 1/2 tsp (3g) salt
- 1 tbsp (10g) flour
- 1/4 cup (30g) cornstarch
- 1/2 cup (100g) sugar
- 1 tbsp (15ml) water
- 1 tsp (5g) vanilla extract
For the Caramel Filling
- 1 ⅓ cup (320g) whipping cream
- 2 ½ tsp (8g) gelatin powder
- 3 tbsp (45ml) cold water
- 1/4 cup (35g) pecans
- 1 tsp (5g) unsalted butter
- 1 tsp (5g) brown sugar
- powdered sugar
Prepare the puff pastry.
- Preheat the oven to 400F (200C).
- Roll the puff pastry thin and transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for about 15-18 minutes or until golden. Cool completely.
Prepare the caramel pastry cream.
- Place milk in a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer.
- Meanwhile, whisk the egg yolks with 1 tablespoon of sugar and salt until well combined. Add flour and cornstarch and mix to combine.
- Place ½ cup (100g) sugar and 1 tablespoon of water in a medium heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium-high heat, and cook without stirring until sugar dissolves and gets a caramel color.
- Reduce the heat to low and gradually add the hot milk to the caramel. Keep over medium-low heat until the caramel is dissolved.
- Gradually add the caramel milk to the egg mixture and return to heat. Cook, stirring constantly until it boils and thickens.
- Remove from heat and add vanilla extract.
- Pour the cream into a clean bowl and cover it with plastic wrap, pressing it directly onto the pastry cream's surface to prevent skin from forming. Let cool to room temperature.
Prepare the caramel filling.
- Dissolve gelatin in cold water and let it soak for 5-10 minutes. Dissolve gelatin over low heat, pour over the caramel pastry cream and mix to combine.
- In a medium bowl mix whipping cream until stiff peaks form. Gently incorporate it into the pastry cream mixture.
Assemble the cake.
- Cut an 8-inch (20cm) square from the baked puff pastry.
- Place the puff pastry square on a serving platter.
- Place a square cake ring around it and line it with acetate sheets.
- Add the caramel filling and smooth the top.
- Break the remaining puff pastry into crumbs. Spread them evenly on top of the caramel filling.
- Refrigerate for at least 4-6 hours or overnight.
Prepare the candied pecans.
- In a saucepan melt the butter and sugar over medium heat.
- Add the pecans and stir until they are lightly browned and fragrant.
- Set aside to cool and chop.
- Before serving, top the cake with chopped candied pecans.
- Dust with powdered sugar. Cut into slices and serve with salted caramel sauce. Enjoy.