We all know this chocolate and vanilla cake, made in zebra or marbled style. It brings back childhood memories for many of us. When it’s still a little warm and paired with a cold glass of milk, this zebra cake is always a tasty treat.
Trying to recreate the taste I was familiar with, I gathered more recipes and finally decided to this list of ingredients and changed some of the quantities. I chose to use butter instead of oil, didn’t melt it, and mix it as it with sugar. I have also reduced the sugar that other recipes seem to use. The batter is so creamy and delicious that you could just eat it as it is.
You can serve this zebra cake as it is with milk or coffee or can also make a chocolate glaze on top for a more sophisticated look.
How to make a zebra cake
Start by greasing and lining a 24 cm (9 inches) round cake pan with parchment paper. Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F).
In a big bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients: flour, a pinch of salt, and baking powder. In another bowl, mix cocoa powder, 1/4 cup of milk, and 1 tablespoon of sugar.
Blend butter and sugar until creamy. Add eggs one by one, mixing well after each addition. Pour in vanilla extract. Gradually add milk and flour mixture, alternating, and mix on low speed.
Now, take 2 cups of batter and combine it with the chocolate mixture. Time to layer! With a tablespoon, alternate spoonfuls of white and chocolate batter in the prepared pan, starting from the center. Create a beautiful pattern of flavors.
Bake for 50-60 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let the cake cool on a rack for 15 minutes before removing it from the pan.
Serve this delightful cake as is or add a chocolate glaze on top. Your Marbled Chocolate and Vanilla Cake is ready to enjoy – a masterpiece of flavors and textures!
Hope you will try this amazing Zebra Cake. Let me know if you try it out and share the photos with me on Instagram if you do. Enjoy!
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup (200g) sugar
- 1 cup butter (200 g) , at room temperature
- 1 cup (240 ml) milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups (375g) flour
- 2 tsp (10 g) baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
For the chocolate batter
- 3 tbsp (25g) cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup (50ml) milk
- 1 tbsp (15g) sugar
- Grease and line with parchment paper, a 24 cm (9 in) round cake pan. Preheat oven at 180 (350 F).
- Whisk together in a large bowl the dry ingredients, flour salt and baking powder. Set aside.
- In another bowl mix the cocoa powder with 1/4 cup milk and 1 tbsp of sugar.
- Mix butter with sugar until creamy. Add eggs one at a time and mix until well incorporated. Add vanilla extract.
- With the mixer on low, alternate adding gradually milk and flour mixture until all is well incorporated.
- Remove two cups of the batter and mix them with the chocolate mixture.
- Use one tablespoon for each batter to create the layers of batter on the prepared pan. Begin from the middle of the pan, take one spoon of white batter then over it add a spoon of chocolate batter and repeat this steps until all batter has been used. (If you don't have the patience to make these layers just add one batter on top of the other and create swirls with a knife or fork to create the marbled effect)
- Bake for 50-60 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 15 minutes on a cooling rack before removing from the pan.
- Serve as it is or top with chocolate glaze.