- Breakfast Muffins - Refined Sugar Free Muffins
- Kvæfjordkake - Norwegian Verdens Beste - World's Best Cake
- Baked Mini Cinnamon Sugar Donuts (no yeast, no eggs)
- No-Bake White Chocolate Oreo Cheesecake
- Easy Three Cheese Stuffed Shells
- Chocolate Milk Slice Cake - Kinder Chocolate Milk Slice
- No-bake Berry Lemon Yogurt Mousse Cake
- Eggless Chocolate Banana Cake
Almond Coconut Cake (Raffaello cake)
Watch the video for this recipe:
This Almond and Coconut Cake is one of the best cakes I’ve made lately and it is inspired by the Raffaello truffles, which are a great combination of a smooth milk cream filling around almonds, coated with crispy wafer and shredded coconut.
This delicate and elegant cake is made with an almond sponge cake, a white chocolate, Mascarpone and coconut filling and topped with Raffaello Truffles, chopped almonds, white chocolate curls and shredded coconut. It has a great texture and an amazing flavor, not too sweet, not too dry, due to the amazing white chocolate frosting and coconut milk used to soak each layer of cake. The cake has a delicate almond and coconut flavor and is hard not to fall in love with it from the first bite. Try it out, I am sure it will be a crowd pleasure.
- Makes about 12 servings
- Almond Sponge Cake
- 6 large eggs, room temperature
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup (200g) sugar
- 1 cup (100g) ground almonds
- 1 cup (125g) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp (5g) almond extract
- White Chocolate Coconut Frosting
- 7 oz (200g) white chocolate
- 3 tbsp (45g) canned coconut milk
- 9 oz (250g) Mascarpone cheese, room temperature
- 2 cups (500g) whipping cream, 35%fat, chilled
- 1/4 cup (30g) powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup (40g) unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 tsp (5g) coconut extract
- Assembling and decorating
- 1 cup (240g) canned coconut milk
- unsweetened shredded coconut
- Chopped almonds, optional
- Raffaello truffles, optional
- White chocolate curls, optional
- Preheat oven to 340F (170C). Grease and line bottom and sides of a 9 inch (23 cm) pan with parchment paper.
- Prepare the almond sponge cake. Separate egg whites from yolks. Add a pinch of salt over the whites and start mixing until foamy. Gradually add sugar and continue whipping until stiff peaks form.
- In a small bowl mix egg yolks with almond extract and fold them into the whipped whites.
- Gradually add ground almonds and flour and carefully incorporate into the batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until lightly golden.
- Let it cool for about 10-15 minutes. Remove from pan and cool completely on a rack.
- Meanwhile prepare the frosting. Place chocolate and coconut milk in a heatproof bowl and let it melt over a pan with simmering water.
- In a large bowl mix Mascarpone cheese until smooth. Add melted chocolate and mix until combined.
- In another large bowl whip the cream until stiff peaks form. Incorporate powdered sugar and coconut extract.
- Gradually incorporate whipped cream into the white chocolate mixture. Fold in the shredded coconut. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Assemble the cake. Divide the sponge cake in 3 layers. Place one cake layer on your serving plate.
- Spread 1/3 cup (80g) coconut milk over the cake layer. Spread evenly with a bit less than a third of frosting. Repeat with the second layer of cake. Add the third layer of cake and spread with the last 1/3 cup (80g) of coconut milk. Spread the remaining frosting on top and sides of the cake.
- Sprinkle shredded coconut on the top and sides of the cake and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Decorate as desired, I’ve used Raffaello truffles, white chocolate curls and chopped almonds.