Watch the video for this recipe:
You can hardly beat a classic Creme Brulee during the summer. It’s creamy, elegant, refreshing and the crispy caramelized crust on top is simply divine.
Creme Brulee is a French dessert consisting of a rich and soft custard made with cream and yolks and topped with a crispy layer of caramelized sugar. It is really easy to prepare, you need only 4 basic ingredients and it takes only few minutes to prepare.
It’s the perfect dessert to make in advance as it keeps well refrigerated for several days. It is also prepared in individual ramekins which makes the serving really easy. Only before serving the sugar is spread over the top and caramelized to form that amazing hard caramel on top.
The classic Creme Brulee uses vanilla to flavor the dessert but you can also choose different flavorings. Enjoy!
- Makes 4 servings
- 6 egg yolks, room temperature
- 1/2 cup (100g) sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp (7g) vanilla extract
- 2 cups (500g) whipping cream (35% fat)
- 4 tbsp (60g) sugar, for caramelizing the top
- Preheat oven to 300F (150C).
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks with sugar and vanilla until thick, creamy and pale yellow colored.
- Place the cream into a saucepan and heat until just begins to boil at the edges. Pour little at a time over egg yolks mixture while stirring continuously.
- Place 4 (8oz-220g) ramekins into a larger pan. For easier pouring transfer the mixture into a pitcher. Pour the mixture evenly into the ramekins. Place on the even rack and pour hot water into the pan until halfway up the sides of the ramekins.
- Bake for about 30-35 minutes until set and trembling into the center.
- Remove the ramekins from the hot water and let cool at room temperature. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Before serving spread 1 tbsp (15g) sugar on top of each ramekin. Use a torch to melt the sugar and create a crispy crust.
- Let it set for about 5 minutes before serving.