What I love about these Double Chocolate Scones and scones in general is that they are quick to prepare, have a rustic, unpretentious look but smells and tastes absolutely amazing. The best part is they are best served warm, so there’s no need to wait for cooling completely which makes them a perfect treat for breakfast or as a snack any time of the day.
These Double Chocolate Scones are rich and chocolaty, with melted chocolate chips inside they almost taste like brownies, which makes them totally irresistible. So whenever you are craving chocolate or want a quick recipe to prepare for family or friends these scones might be the answer for you.
Flaky Buttermilk Biscuits
Double Chocolate Scones
- 1 3/4 cups (220g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (60g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup (100g) sugar
- 2 1/2 tsp (10g) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (1g) instant coffee
- 1/2 tsp (2g) salt
- 6 tbsp (80g) butter , cold and cut into cubes
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup (180g) buttermilk
- 4 oz (120g) semisweet chocolate chips/chunks
- 1 egg , beaten
- chocolate chips/chunks
- Preheat the oven to 400 F (200C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl whisk the flour with sugar, cocoa powder,instant coffee, baking powder and salt.
- Add the butter cubes, and using a pastry cutter or fork cut the butter until the pieces are no bigger than peas.
- Add chocolate and toss until are coated in flour mixture.
- Combine egg with buttermilk and add over the flour mixture and stir until just combined.
- Transfer dough onto a floured surface. Shape into a circle of about 8 inch (20 cm) in diameter, then cut into 8 triangles.
- Transfer the scones on the baking sheet and brush with egg. Top with more chocolate chips or chunks.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean or with a few crumbs attached. Transfer to cooling rack to cool slightly. The scones are best served warm. Enjoy.
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and tag @homecookingadventure on Instagram and hashtag it #homecookingadventure.
Thank you dear or all your wonderful reciepies ,God bless you and your family ,I would like to try your reciepies which contain the semisweet chocolate but I’m worried that my children will not love the quality I buy , could I know what kind of chocolate you are using I mean the brand of the chocolate chip and the brand of the semi chocolate bars the one you melted in all your reciepies I do care about the quality of chocolate,thank you
I use Callebaut Chocolate Chips or Schogetten Chocolate.
Hi, i would like to make this recipe but i don’t know exactly what is buttermilk. Can you please explain it to me. Thanks
Hi Ana Maria.
You can use 3/4 yogurt +1/4 milk.
Hi, can i compensete the instant coffe for liquid coffe?
These are delicious! They were perfect for my Saturday morning treat! The texture is slightly crisp on the outside, light, tender and moist on the inside. Not overly sweet. So good! The house smells amazing! I’m already planning to make them again. Thank you so much!