This Gluten-Free Apricot Almond Cake is a delightful treat, a perfect fusion of naturally sweet apricots and the nutty goodness of almonds. It is simple and elegant and is perfect for any occasion. This cake features a soft sponge made with almond flour, topped with juicy apricots. Plus, it’s gluten-free and has a light, melt-in-your-mouth texture.
The recipe is very easy to prepare and requires just 5 major ingredients: eggs, almond flour, cornstarch, sugar and apricots. To give the cake its rise, whipped egg whites replace baking powder. Whip them till they’re stiff and gently mix into the batter without deflating. Also, for this sponge cake, no butter or oil is used which makes the cake very light and low in calories.
Whether you’re a fan of apricots or simply appreciate the nutty undertones of almonds, this cake delivers a symphony of flavors in every slice. It’s perfect for sharing with friends and family or as a special treat on any day.
How to make Apricot Almond Cake
Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C). Lightly grease an 8-inch (20cm) springform pan and line its bottom with parchment paper.
Begin by cutting the apricots into thick slices. Put the slices in a bowl, add a tablespoon of cornstarch, and toss them gently to ensure even coating. Set this aside.
Now, separate the egg whites from the yolks. In a bowl with the yolks, mix in half of the sugar (1/3 cup or 70g) and almond extract. Stir until the mixture becomes creamy and thick. Incorporate almond flour and 2 tablespoons of cornstarch into this mixture, combining everything smoothly.
Over the egg whites, sprinkle in a pinch of salt. Start whipping the whites until they become foamy. Gradually add the remaining 1/3 cup (70g) of sugar while continuing to whip. Keep beating until the whites form stiff peaks.
Gently fold the whipped egg whites into the yolk-almond mixture. Carefully pour this batter into the prepared pan and use a spatula to smoothen the top surface.
Arrange the previously prepared apricot slices atop the batter in the pan.
Bake the cake for approximately 35-40 minutes or until it turns a beautiful golden hue and a toothpick inserted into the center comes clean.
Once done, allow the cake to cool slightly. Then, transfer it to a serving platter and sprinkle powdered sugar over the top before serving.
Savor the cake just as it is or serve it with a generous scoop of ice cream or dollop of whipped cream. Hope you will try this gluten-free apricot almond cake and enjoy the delightful flavors and textures it offers! If you do, share the photos with me on Instagram. Would love to see how it turns out for you.
Other gluten-free desserts you may like to try
This Flourless Chocolate Raspberry Meringue Cake is a delightful dessert perfect for any gathering. This cake brings together the goodness of chocolate, the zing of raspberries, and the satisfying crunch of baked meringue.
This Summer Berry Meringue Roll is one of the best summer desserts ever. A soft, light and airy meringue filled with a creamy mascarpone frosting and fresh berries, a perfect balance between sweet and tart.
This flourless chocolate cake, Torta Caprese has a dense and moist texture that is enriched with the flavors of ground almonds, making it an irresistible dessert for anyone with a sweet tooth.
For more gluten-free treats check our collection of Gluten-Free Recipes.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
Apricot Frangipane Tart
Easy Strawberry Cake
Apricot Ice Cream
Apricot and Caramelized White Chocolate Mousse Cake
Easy Strawberry Cake
Apricot Jam and Walnut Cookies
Nectarine Yogurt Popsicles
Apple Meringue Cake
Homemade Ice Cream Terrine
Vanilla and Raspberry Panna Cotta
No-bake Berry Lemon Yogurt Mousse Cake
Peach Crumble Muffins
Gluten-Free Apricot Almond Cake
- 4-5 apricots , cut into thick slices
- 1 tbsp (8g) cornstarch , for tossing the apricots
- 4 large eggs , separated
- 2/3 cup (140g) sugar , divided
- 1 ½ cup (150g) almond flour
- 2 tbsp (16g) cornstarch , for the cake batter
- 1/4 tsp (1g) salt
- 1 tsp (5g) almond extract
- Preheat the oven to 350F (180C). Lightly grease an 8-inch (20cm) springform pan and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- Cut the apricots into thick slices and transfer to a bowl.
- Add a tablespoon of cornstarch and toss to coat evenly. Set aside.
- Separate the egg whites from the yolks.
- Over the yolks add half of sugar, 1/3 cup (70g) and almond extract. Mix until creamy and thick.
- Add almond flour and the 2 tablespoons of cornstarch and mix to combine.
- Add the salt over the whites and start whipping the whites until foamy. Gradually add ⅓ cup (70g) sugar and continue whipping until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold the whites into the egg yolk-almond mixture.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top.
- Arrange the apricot slices on top of the batter.
- Bake the cake for 35-40 minutes, until golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let cool slightly, transfer to a serving platter and dust with powdered sugar before serving.
- Enjoy as is or with a good dollop of ice cream or whipped cream.