- Easy Sourdough Bread
- Sourdough Starter from Scratch
- Easy Blueberry Muffins
- Easy Homemade Bread - 4 Ingredient Bread
- Irish Shepherd’s Pie
- Tortilla de Patatas - Spanish Omelette - Tortilla Española
- Oatmeal Lace Cookie Cups with Whipped Chocolate Ganache and Strawberry Jam
- Vegetable Egg Rolls - Fried or Baked
Shakshuka -Eggs in Tomato Sauce
Watch the video for this recipe:
I have wanted to share Shakshuka recipe with you for quite some time, I stumbled upon it a while ago and really loved the dish from the moment I saw it. Eggs are poached in a delicious tomato sauce, very easy to prepare, healthy, comforting, flavorful, wonderful colors, definitely a must try recipe. It is usually served for breakfast and it’s perfect for brunch on lazy weekends.
Though Shakshuka has a Tunisian origin it is very popular throughout the Middle East and variations of this dish can be found all over the world.
This dish is best served right away after cooking alongside some crusty bread or pita.Some prefer their yolks runny some prefer them hard, just adjust the cooking time accordingly to your preference. Try it out, enjoy it with your family and friends, everybody will be delighted for sure.
Recipe adapted after Tori Avey
- Makes about 4-6 servings
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cans (14 oz.- 400g each) diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp (30g) tomato paste
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- chili flakes, to taste
- 1 tsp sugar
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 eggs
- fresh parsley/cilantro for garnish
- Heat olive oil in a 12 inch (30cm) frying pan over medium heat.Add onion and cook for about 5 minutes until the onion begins to soften. Stir in garlic.
- Add red bell pepper and continue to cook for 5-7 minutes over medium heat until softened
- Stir in tomato paste and diced tomatoes and add all the spices and sugar. Season with salt and pepper and allow to simmer over medium heat for 10-15 minutes until it starts to reduce. Adjust the seasonings according to your tastes, add more chili flakes for a spicier sauce or sugar for a sweeter one.
- Crack the eggs over the tomato mixture, one in the middle and 5 around the edges of the pan. Cover the pan and simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until the eggs are cooked.
- Garnish with fresh parsley or cilantro and serve with crusty bread or pita. Enjoy!