- Chocolate Norwegian Cake - Chocolate Verdens Beste
- Breakfast Muffins - Refined Sugar Free Muffins
- Kvæfjordkake - Norwegian Verdens Beste - World's Best Cake
- Baked Mini Cinnamon Sugar Donuts (no yeast, no eggs)
- No-Bake White Chocolate Oreo Cheesecake
- Easy Three Cheese Stuffed Shells
- Chocolate Milk Slice Cake - Kinder Chocolate Milk Slice
- No-bake Berry Lemon Yogurt Mousse Cake
Whole Roasted Chicken
Watch the video for this recipe:
This is one of the easiest ways of roasting a whole chicken, with great results each time. This beautifully browned chicken with roasted vegetables is an impressive dish you can prepare for upcoming holidays. The chicken is juicy with a crispy skin and very flavorful due to all the spices used.
The recipe is really easy, uses really basic ingredients and you can feel free to adapt the recipe to suit your own tastes, like using different herbs or none at all, different vegetables like carrots or parsnip, onion and garlic. Just make sure to follow the steps and you will get the best roasted chicken ever.
Hope you will try it out and enjoy!
- Makes about 4-6 servings
- 4 pounds (1.9kg) whole chicken
- 2 tsp (10g) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2g) sweet or smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp (1g) freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp (5g) garlic powder
- 2 tsp mixed dried herbs (oregano, thyme, rosemary)
- 2 1/2 tbsp (35g) olive oil
- For stuffing
- 1 lemon, cut in quarters
- 2 rosemary sprigs
- Fresh thyme
- For Roasted Vegetables
- 2 pounds (900g) red potatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 pound (450g) sweet potato, cut into wedges
- 1 fennel bulb, sliced 1/2 inch (1cm) thick
- 1/2 tsp (3g) salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp (2g) caraway powder
- 1 1/2 tbsp (20g) olive oil
- For roasting
- 1 cup (240ml) hot water
- Pat dry the chicken using paper towels and let it get to room temperature for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350F (180C), with fan on.
- In a bowl combine all spices, salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder and dried herbs with the olive oil.
- Season the cavity with salt and pepper.
- Coat the chicken with olive oil mixture, on all sides. If not already tied up, tie the legs with a cooking string. Set aside at room temperature until you prepare the vegetables for roasting.
- Cut red potatoes and sweet potatoes into wedges, the fennel bulb into thick slices and place in a baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, caraway powder, drizzle with olive oil and toss to coat.
- Place the oven rack on top of the vegetables and place the chicken on the center of the rack with breast side up.
- Stuff the chicken with 1 lemon cut into quarters and with two fresh rosemary sprigs and fresh thyme.
- Pour 1 cup (240ml) hot water into the baking dish and place in the preheated oven.
- Roast for about 20 minutes per pound (45 minutes per kg), in my case for 80 minutes. Baste the chicken with the dripping sauce, every 30 minutes.
- If water evaporated too early, add another up ½ cup hot water into the pan.
- Check the internal temperature until it reaches 165°F (75°C).
- Place the chicken onto a serving platter, arrange the vegetables around it and let it sit for 15-20 minutes before carving.
- Keep the remaining sauce to serve alongside.
- Decorate the platter with fresh rosemary, fresh thyme and lemon wedges. Enjoy!