Main Dish RecipesDessert RecipesBreakfast RecipesAppetizer RecipesBread RecipesSoup RecipesSalad RecipesDrink RecipesHealthy RecipesThanksgiving RecipesChristmas Recipes
Posted on January 24, 2012
Gnocchi are delicious mouthwatering potato dumplings and can be quite fun to prepare them at home. They are a traditional Italian meal perfect for lunch or dinner topped with your favorite sauce and cheese.
- Makes about 4-6 servings
- 2 pounds (1 kg) yellow potatoes
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp butter
- pinch of salt
- 2 cups flour
- Boil the potatoes with their skin on, until soft. Peel them and mash them well, you can also use a grater. Let cool completely.
- In a large bowl mix the mashed potatoes with egg, butter and flour until they bind together. knead until a smooth, sticky dough is formed.
- Dust the hands and working surface with flour and roll into 3/4 inch thick rolls. Cut the rolls into 1/2 inch pieces. Press the top of each piece with a fork. You can either cook the gnocchi or freeze at this point.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil then reduce the heat to a low simmer. Add the gnocchi into the hot water and cook in batches.Let the gnocchi boil until they rise to the surface of the water. Let them boil on the surface another minute and they are done. Remove the gnocchi with a perforated spoon and put them in a greased serving dish.
- Pour your favorite sauce over the gnocchi and serve, sprinkled with Parmesan cheese.
- If you want to freeze gnocchi you must freeze them uncooked. Put the gnocchi in one layer on a baking tray and place in the freezer. Freeze for about 2-3 hrs. Remove and put the gnocchi on freezer bags. Store in the freezer until ready to cook. Frozen gnocchi must be cooked directly in hot boiling water.
Nutrition facts 1 Serving - Calories:300, Fat:5.1 g, Saturated Fat:2.8 g, Carbohydrates:55.6 g, Sugar:1.9 g, Fiber:4.8 g, Protein:7.8 g, Cholesterol:41 mg, Calories from Fat 46, Sodium 75 mg, Vitamin A 3%, Calcium 2%, Vitamin C 50%, Iron 16%, Nutrition Grade B+, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.